Author Topic: Annual maintenance questions  (Read 7432 times)

Larry Williams

Annual maintenance questions
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
I am ending my first season of owning my Beaver and it is my first diesel. It is due for annual maintenance of the engine, generator and Hydro-Hot. I have a few questions for the veteran owners here.

Am I better off doing the maintenance now as part of the laying up for the winter or should I hold off until reactivation in the spring? I would think it would be better to store it with fresh lubricants. I will definitely winterize the water systems now.

And I probably will have the work done by the RV service center here locally (Russ Dean RV in Pasco, WA). They have a chassis shop and a certified Hydro-Hot mechanic. But I am not adverse to taking it somewhere else if it turns out best. I need to trade off the cost of driving it out of town versus just doing it here locally. I live in eastern Washington (Tri-Cities) so getting to Bend or Portland where other shops are will cost me at least $200 in fuel round trip. I might consider taking a last trip out for vacation as part of servicing. Anybody have any recommendations?

And what should I reasonably expect for costs for those services?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Roy C Tyler

Re: Annual maintenance questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »
Last year was our first year with the Beaver and my first diesel.  Not knowing what had been done previously, I had it serviced at the end of the season and it ran around $400 for oil and lube and I had to have a leaky pump replaced for another $350.  This year, we traveled some during the summer and plan on going to Arizona for 5 weeks in January so I will have it serviced when we return from Arizona.  If it just requires lube, oil and filter, I figure around $400 to $450.  I have mine serviced at Cummins West about 1/2 mile from my house.  Just drop it off and walk home and wait for the call to come and get it.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Hi Larry, I am sorry I am not able to give you a professional opinion but from my stand point I really don't think it really matters as long as you do it.
I do mine as a rule in January while at Quartzite I have some good contacts that I have used for a number of years. For me it's like changing the battery in the smoke alarm I do the Oil/Lube and Aqua Hot.
Now if I am running high on the mileage then I will do service as needed I do keep an eye on things like the tag bearing oil and do the repack on wheel bearing per the PM for our rig. The engine air filter is something I watch (I do carry and old filter for Quartzite)
I do run the rig regularly so I keep an eye on fluids and tires.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
We do ours prior to winter storage. I had oil changed, and the chassis lubed by SpeedCo in Council Bluffs IA on the way home from out west. Cost was $246.00. I just had the Hydro Hot done this week. It needed a new thermostat sensor, but I also had the nozzle and filters replaced. Total cost, $279.00.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Larry Williams

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the input so far guys. I plan to do the engine/lube and Hydro-Hot annually regardless of mileage on the engine. But what about frequency for the generator? On my last rig I had a gasoline generator and I had a service contract with the dealer where they serviced it every year for no extra charge. How about the diesel? I know it is important to exercise the generator routinely, even in the winter. But how about servicing? Should it also be annual or do you go by hours of use?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »
Larry I do mine every other year I also do run my APU for 10-15 min once a trip, I don't do a lot of dry camping so if you do I wouold suggest that you ask a member like our region 1 VP Bill Sprague.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Doug Neal

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
Use to use Cummins for PM but www.speedco.com can do on site oil analysis, more efficent, less money and also service your Onan.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
When ours was new I thought it seemed like there was a lot to do and the requirements for all the components seemed almost random.  So, I made a spread sheet.  I tried to list everything with a maintenance schedule in one column.  The next column had the miles.  The third column has months or years.    I added items as I figured them out.  I've not yet done the refrigerator section!

Each year I add a column that starts with who did it, the date and the mileage.   Then for each item in the first column, a "Yes", "No", "Deferred" or maybe a part number or price.

Gradually over the last 10 years, with a lot of help from Marty, I've learned how to do the various items myself.

I can't figure out how to paste the text from the Excel spread sheet into the format for this forum.  It gets "jumbled".  So, instead, I've attached a Windows Snap Tool .jpg of the first few columns.  The text is a bit small, so you may have to squint.   But, you may be able to get the idea.  My list is not perfect and my motor is a Cummins.  

If anybody wants a copy, say so.  I'll email it to you.  If you have Excel, you can add and delete items to suit your own ideas.  Be forewarned  that I never intended to share it, so there are a lot of personal notes in spots that could make it look a little messy to anybody but me.  

Don't post your email address on this public forum.  If you can, send me an email or private message.  Phone calls are fun too!  I have my first smartphone. You can even "text" me now.  

Larry Williams

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »
Thanks Bill,

That is just what I needed. I have 83 hrs on the Onan since last serviced so will wait on that until next year. I will send you a PM with my email address so you can send me the excel sheet.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
When we first got our coach at BCS, I asked Loren Cassidy if there was a formal scheduled maintenance form for it.  He basically implied no, but produced copies of a generalized form, not specific to Beaver or Monaco.  I discovered some things, as he forewarned, didn't apply to my rig and would be a waste of paper, etc.  So when I had time I perused the coach owners manual and that for the engine and tranny, and the genset and hydronic unit, and a few online resources and came up with my own chart.  Needless to say, not everything I came across was in agreement with everything else, so it took some discerning scrutinizing and judging, and maybe a little compromising, for some of the numbers to get finalized on the chart.  Specific manufacturer guidelines, however, were a no-brainer.

Like I did when I took over the family farm long ago, I got a large eraserboard and charted all the service necessities on it.  I then mounted the board using velcro on the inside of my garage back door that opens right next to the coach's pad.  I simply mark on it when some work or change is done.  Of course I also keep a file of receipts, etc. for the coach - one at home and one onboard, but the one on the garage door is handy and regularly "in my face", so its hard to forget stuff.  I can erase old dates and/or mileage and easily enter the latest.  Eraser and multiple markers attach magnetically to the face of the board, as do some colored "game pieces", for lack of a better term, that I use to hold incidental papers to the board and to mark whether the battery switches are ON or OFF.

The one issue with this method is that things on the wall behind the door often rub on the board when it's opened.  That's a positioning logistical issue that's easily remedied, but my lazy side just hasn't tackled it yet.  I have a similar board mounted on an inside overhead garage door panel for my other vehicles, but its relatively out of harm's way;  it's only in that spot due to lack of bare wallspace elsewhere, and yes, it is a little difficult to write on when the garage door is open  :P , but any open port in a storm.

The motorhome board's scribblings are rather tattered after 8 years and could use refreshing, but I for one at least can tell what they mean.  Some long-range service schedules have never come to fruition, and may never under my ownership, but they're listed regardless as a reminder at least of their potential.  The idea is to not have the service schedule stuffed away in a drawer or file someplace, out of sight and out of mind;  but rather in an unavoidable place regularly if not daily seen.  Yeah, I get jadedly used to its being there, but I certainly refresh my mind about it a lot more often than if the schedules were stored away.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
I've sent spreadsheets to 4 that have asked.  Let me know if you didn't get them.  

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
Bill,

I would like a copy to take a look and know what I have forgotten.
Thanks Ed

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:35:30 PM by 235 »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Bill,

I would like a copy to take a look and know what I have forgotten :-)

Thanks Ed

Ed,

I sent it.

FWIW,  it will probably turn out to be what you add to my list.  Not the other way around!

Bill

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:37:14 PM by 235 »