Author Topic: Slide Panel In The Screen Door  (Read 4376 times)

Edward Buker

Slide Panel In The Screen Door
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
My wife was closing the small (what I thought was a plexiglass panel) in the screen door that allows access to the outer door handle and it shattered into a gazillion pieces. It was obviously safety glass.

Has anyone dealt with this in terms of getting a new one and putting in the replacement. I was away on family matters and I have not yet looked at what is involved. Maybe someone has been here before. I was thinking of going the plexiglass route if the original was hared to come by. Not sure who made the screen door or how hard it would be to access getting a new panel in...with my luck they built the door around the little glass panel :-)

Later Ed

George H. Wall

Re: Slide Panel In The Screen Door
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Ed, They make the replacement panels, in several colors, @ Camping World or Sportmans Guide and other RV suppliers.  Henry

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
George,

I have seen the plastic panels with the raised section but the unit that fits our door was composed of two flat glass panels, one fixed in place, and one that slid that had a black knob attached. The door frame is all welded aluminum so I am guessing the glass panel slides up in and drops down into place...hopefully. I'll try BCS and see what they have in stock.

Later Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
Ed, I took my door off and took it to a glass shop here in the area. $75.00 later and a few days it was all better.
Marty

Bill Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
Ours shattered some time ago.  Since I could not figure a way to insert a glass panel, I cut a piece of plexiglas, drilled a hole for the "knob" and then bent the plexiglas to fit in the slot.  The downside of plexiglas is that it tends to scratch.  I now just keep some spare pieces on hand and replace the scratched piece when it gets too bad.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
Marty and Bill,

I am glad we are not alone with the shattered glass panel problem. I did not get a call back yet from BCS parts. They must be crazy busy now, Ken said they are lucky to get a slow month during the entire year now.

I think the plexiglass route sounds good to me for now, so time to get the measuring tape out. At least we will not have to pick up a few thousand glass shards again that seem to end up everywhere....

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:12:02 AM »
Ed,
The glass panel was no longer available the last time mine broke (it was the second time), but BCS had the Plexiglas replacement in stock. The down side to the Plexiglas version is that it scratches fairly easily, so it does not stay as good looking as the glass version, but it will not break.

To replace it when you get the new panel, remove the plastic strip that the panel slides on. Clean out all of the glass pieces, insert the new panel, and with it in the open position, slide the plastic strip back in under the new panel. install the knob, job done.

Gerald  

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:18 AM »
Gerald,

Plexiglass is good, in short order it will look a little weather worn just like you and I do:-) Thanks for letting me know about the install routine. I'll buzz BCS again tomorrow.

Later Ed