Author Topic: Shower Drain Leak  (Read 10368 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Shower Drain Leak
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
I just discovered that the shower drain in our 08 Thunder has a fairly significant leak.  Ours is a large corner shower located in the rear area of the coach, right above the tag axle on the drivers side.  The only obvious access I can find is a small opening in the front of the shower base, 6" x 4".  To the left of the shower is a narrow linen cabinet, 12" or so wide, sitting atop one of the engine covers.  The right side of the shower abuts the rear bedroom wall.  When I put my arm into the opening, I can't even touch the drain, too far away.  The only way I can see to access the actual drain pipes appears to require the removal of the narrow cabinet, and if necessary, the cabinet next to it that contains the separate washer and dryer and then removal of the engine cover, which may actually be a cover over the engine radiator.

The removal and subsequent re-installation of the cabinets is concerning and I don't know if the shower panel is attached directly to the cabinet or possibly there is a piece of plywood between the cabinet and shower.  This is not a job I am willing to take on.  We are presently staying in the coach while in Mesa AZ and will not be returning home to Nashville until March 6th or so.  Is there anyone in the Mesa area that a member can recommend to tackle this kind of job, preferably without having to move the coach?  If I can't get it fixed before I leave, I'm thinking of taking the coach to either Lee Smith in Chattanooga TN or Buddy Gregg in Knoxville.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Roy C Tyler

Re: Shower Drain Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
If you are staying in a resort or park, I would check with some of your neighbors. If they are return visitors, there may be someone that they use on a regular basis.  Last month I had an awning spring break while I was at Happy Trails in Surprise, AZ.  I checked around and several neighbors recommended the same repair man. I called him and I was very happy with the work and cost.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
Norm, You stated that the drain was leaking, where is the drain water coming out is it leaking out on the ground or in the coach? My coach is arranged different than yours but my drains come through the floor and are up in the panels in the frame. Are you sure there are no panels above the tag that cover the lines?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
As Roy said, first ask around the neighborhood for references to RV repairmen.

I found this website using a quick Google Search:  http://rvtechdirectory.com/

I entered the Listings By State: Arizona

Two entries came onscreen - one located in Mesa.

BOXRUD RV
 Keith Boxrud
 8228 E Germann Rd
 Mesa, Arizona 85212
 tech# 480-695-6176
 krboxrud@yahoo.com

I don't know Boxrud at all, so make no recommendations.  In absence of a neighborhood or another BAC member's recommendation, it may be a place to start.

Good luck...

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Brad Burgess

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
I recommend John at APR in Mesa- phone is 480-962-1661.

Brad Burgess

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:34:52 AM »
An update on our shower leak.  But first, I want to thank all of you that responded.  I have made several inquiries of the locals here in the park.  As far as an update, I spent several hours trying to investigate more precisely where the leak was, given the significant lack of access.  I finally determined that while the shower was on, water was actually dripping on the drain pipe from above and only appeared to be coming from the drain pipe.  What is actually leaking is the connection of the water line to the diverter/shut-off fitting on which the shower hose is connected.  This fitting is about 8" above the shower handle.  I have been unable to tighten the fixture more because, once again, very limited access.  I'm sure that there is a special plumber's tool that would make this easy and I be contacting on of the RV service providers recommended for assistance.  Thanks again.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Thank you all.  Your suggestions did prompt me to further investigation.  After I removed the items and shelves in the upper portion of the cabinet that sits along side the shower, I found four screws, which when removed, allowed me to remove the back of the cabinet.  When removed, I forced myself inside the 9" opening and was able to access the back of the shower handle plumbing.  I am now in the process of working on the leak and it's termination.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:59:09 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Norm,
Great news, there had to be a way to get to the shower valve, your on the right track.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »
Leak update.  Leak stopped.  I had to do a little grinding on the back of the shower panel to allow a little more tightening of the threads to seat with the washer.  Thanks again for all your help. 
P.S.  If I ever do get a leak in the drain pipe, I still don't know how one would access it without removing the shower and/or all the cabinets. It would be a massive job.  Definitely a lack of engineering forethought for future service.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:40:58 AM by Carol Moffett »
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN