Author Topic: 2002 Beaver Contessa SMC/IDS Automatic Leveling  (Read 13423 times)

Jerry McCarty

2002 Beaver Contessa SMC/IDS Automatic Leveling
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:35 AM »
I have a 2002 Beaver Contessa with the SMC/IDS automatic leveling system.  The keypad was replaced in 2010 and now some of the switches and LEDs  have started to malfunction.  I have been able to level using jumpers on the back of the touchpad so far but a permanent solution is needed.  I have found several options so far.  I have an extended warranty and want to use its function as much as possible but they will not tell me which options they will support.  I will have to get my repair shop to handle the claim and repair.

My options are:
1.  Installed a new or used touchpad.  There are some used ones out there and one new one is on eBay.  The extended warranty company won’t support used or eBay but its up to the shop to stand behind either one.
2.  Beaver Coach Sales has a replacement unit that will replace both the touchpad and the IDS controller making the system totally manual.  That has a $952 plus tax, shipping and my shops installation labor.  
3.  There are some owners that have totally removed the hydraulic leveling system (or just left it alone) and installed an air leveling system that uses the 8 air ride bladders to level the coach.

There may be others I haven’t found yet.  If you have done the system by Beaver Coach Sales please let me know your experience since that conversion.  If you did the air leveling I would like to know the manufacturer of the components and what it cost to do the total install.  Also would you do it again.  If you have another solution please pass on the name of the company, the kit info and/or any other details you can offer to include the cost.

I have a few weeks before I will take the coach to Tony’s RV in Lexington, SC.  They have done all my work in the past except for what I do myself.

Thanks.
Jerry McCarty
2002 Beaver  Contessa Naples
40 foot, Cummins ISL370

Gerald Farris

Re: 2002 Beaver Contessa SMC/IDS Automatic Leveling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:04 AM »
Jerry,
The air leveling system that you are talking about is an HWH system. Some RV shops can install an HWH air leveling system, but the vast majority of owners who have the system installed go the HWH factory in Moscow, Iowa for the installation.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
The price of air leveling is about $6000. When I discussed having my coach done Moscow was the only service center for HWH that they offered up that could handle the job. There may be individual outfits in Bend that could do it, but HWH with this level of install, guaranteed by them had to be done in Moscow.  The pros of this system is that it will be supported for the long term, air leveling is a more "gentle system" and offers a bit more leveling range then the IDS hydraulic. The manual controls for the hydraulic system will solve the controller problem forever, given it is a switch panel from what I understand and uses no specialized electronic components. The issue is that you may still have a hydraulic cylinder begin to leak in time and that also was not a standard component but some used ones may be around.
The most robust fix is the air system from HWH. I think you have listed all the options.

If money and available time was not an issue I would have air leveling added. I have chosen to wait until it becomes a must have with no other rational repair option available....

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:05:29 PM by 910 »

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
I installed the manual system replacement at Beaver Coach Sales, it works great.  You do need to be careful not to twist the coach during the leveling process.  BCS gives instructions on a safe leveling procedure, basically you just need to move the jacks in pairs to keep the front and rear and side to side jacks  equal.  I'm very happy with the system.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »
I had the same system but had a rear left leaking jack. This past summer I went to HWH factory and had an air system installed custom for my coach.
They removed the front jacks, capped the lines and also capped the rear lines off.
They couldn't get the rear jacks removed without the rear wheels removed which they weren't able to do there. So rear jacks still on the coach.
All the wiring harnesses are custom made in house and installed. We stayed in the RV for 2 1/2 days day and night on a drive on rack two stories up. They put a platform ladder by the door for us.
Had 50 amp power to run air, TV's worked and worked out well.
We stopped at Interstate Power systems first thing the morning of July 7th and had the computer reset for the transmission to work with the air system, then headed t to HWH from there.
Total of $4922 for the complete job. I am so happy to be rid of the SMC system. Push a button for leveling, another for travel mode. Then I have the option to manually lift or lower sides for dumping as I need to.

I have the two front jacks and push pad on hand if anyone ever needs them. I will get the rear jacks removed eventually and have one good one on hand.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Lamonte,

This is a nice summary, thank you for sharing it. I was a bit puzzled on the need for transmission programming, what was being reprogrammed and why if you happen to know.

Regards Ed

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
Hi Ed Thanks, The way the technician explained it to me was that the system needed to know when the coach reached a rolling speed of five mph to put air bags to travel mode if neglected to do it before moving the coach. A safety feature so to speak. Don't want to be going down the road with airbags at low settings.

"This is a nice summary, thank you for sharing it. I was a bit puzzled on the need for transmission programming, what was being reprogrammed and why if you happen to know."

Regards Ed[/quote]

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:50:09 PM by 235 »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:50 AM »
Thanks, I see the need... I have not had a coach with air leveling yet so it is new news to me.

Later Ed

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:42:19 AM »
I checked all the options and will install the manual system from Beaver Coach Sales.  In the mean time I found a "new" touchpad on eBay from a person who says he has more new ones.  I put in the new pad and everything is working normal again.  The item I bought on eBay was 221654324902.  He has already posted another one it and can be found at this link on eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDS-SMC-Leveling-Touch-Pad-10133C-Beaver-Monaco/221664667577?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27673%26meid%3Dfda29135511544368810794892224456%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D221654324902 

My controller is still good so just replacing the touchpad was all that had to be done now.  I got the information from Beaver Coach Sales on the wiring for the manual system and went on and put in parallel wiring so it would be ready when the neweswt touchpad fails.  The Beaver Coach Sales manual system has gone up from $952 for just the part to $1650 for the part.  Installation would be extra unless you can do it yourself.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Jerry
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Les Brandt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »
How did you know if it's the touch pad or controller? Trial and error?

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
glad you got it all figured out....r

regards,
Jerry

Tom Halter

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:38:06 AM »
Contact Mike Pack at 541-382-7454. He has a guy who repairs circuit boards.

Thanks!

Tom Advantage RV

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
Sorry it took so long to respond.  Just got too many things going I guess.

When the system would not level there were several of the LED lights on the touch pad that did not work.  But when I went to AUTO on the pad there just wasn't any response.  I pulled out the "stuff" that previous owners left me and found they had problems with the leveling system since there was a set of schematics from Monaco Tech Support showing all the wiring for the system.  The wiring diagrams showed the description along with wiring numbers that are on each wire in the harness.  There was power in and an output from the touchpad going to the controller that was labeled as "AUTO".  I made the assumption that the touch pad was a "dump" set of switches, etc. and therefore only passing power through it to the controller.  I took a short jumper from the power in to the auto out and low and behold the coach leveled normally.  I assumed that the controller was working and that I had a bad auto switch on the touchpad.  I had replaced the pad once in the past and knew from the discussions on the forums that the pads were prone to fail.  I started to just put in a manual switch and keep on trucking but I have an extended warranty that pays for repairs of "broken" stuff so I left them replace the touchpad.  But since they can't buy it from Monaco/Beaver any longer they opted to buy the Beaver Coach Sale redesign as the cheapest option.  I put it in as a parallel operation and everything works fine.  Hope that answers the questions.

I now have a problem with the front main slide out not retracting but I"ll put that in another post.