Author Topic: Aqua Hot Repair Of Cracked Elbows  (Read 6872 times)

Edward Buker

Aqua Hot Repair Of Cracked Elbows
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »
I mentioned in a prior post that I would be repairing some cracked copper elbows in the engine preheat loop in my Aqua Hot. The elbows that are used in construction of the Aqua Hot have a very sharp bend and crack at the bend. I lost about a gallon of engine coolant on the road without knowing it and a second gallon during the repair draining down the loop during the repair. For owners of Aqua Hots this is an area to inspect whenever you open up the Aqua Hot or if you notice a loss of engine coolant.

So why does it fail...My guess is that while we drive down the road there are vibrations and oscillations transmitted to this unit (like watching a side mirror vibrate) which eventually fatigue the fitting. My fail was at 12 years and 58k miles for reference.

I spoke with Roger Berke about this repair and he has done a number of them replacing the elbows with new copper. I was concerned that I could not get the pipe and fittings to be dry and clean enough of antifreeze to assure good solder joints. The other issue is you could end up having copper elbows crack again over time so I went the route of silicone elbows that hopefully allow some flex and dampen and absorb some vibration. Roger has coolant hose 5/8th ID elbows and constant tension clamps that would work well and he is a great source for parts.

The actual repair and photos if you ever need it....

!. Pinch off the two coolant hoses with hose pliers or long tip vice grips and release pressure loosening the coolant cap at the expansion tank. If you are replacing the fitting on the pump side (left) you will need to loosen the burner clamp fittings and move the burner to the right out of the working area.
2. Apollo tools makes a circular 1/2 inch pipe cutter that just fits and allows you to cut these hoses with the tight clearances involved which I picked up at Ace hardware.
3. Have a drain pan under the unit. For a left side repair loosen the union between the pump and the elbow, remove the pipe and union by unscrewing  the fitting on the pump.
4. Solder a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe to a female 1/2NPT copper fitting, place it and cut the copper pipe at an appropriate point to be able to work on a hose type elbow. Then screw the fitting and pipe on the pump using Teflon tape or/and Rectorseal. The cuts in the copper pipes have to be back far enough from the elbow points to work the hoses on, see photos.
5. Cut the 5/8 hose elbows to length to allow about 1 inch of hose end over copper. Place a constant tension clamp on the copper pipes beyond where the hose will be fitted, work the hoses on, move the clamps into the overlap section and tighten to the proper torque. The type I used were a number 10 Breeze (O'Reilly's sells these as Master Pro)  constant torque which has a range of 50 to 150 inch lbs depending on contraction vs expansion. I used 100 inch lbs and found no leaks heating or when cooled. If doing the right side you will just need to cut the pipe at an appropriate point above and below the elbow. Both elbows on my unit were leaking so I did both sides.
6. Refill expansion tank with antifreeze, run engine up to temp, inspect elbows for leaks, once engine cools recheck antifreeze level.

Parts Ref. These or call Roger Berke.
Hose elbows:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OZ8LX0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1415544852&sr=1&keywords=hps+5%2F8+silicone+elbows

Constant Tension Clamps:  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHC0/MP47010/N0189.oap?ck=Search_hose+clamps_N0189_-1_-1&keyword=hose+clamps&pt=N0189&ppt=C0075

I hope that you do not have this issue, but if you do, this is a cure that should never leak at the same point again. It is a repair that is what I would call moderate difficulty but I do not think this method is as bad as trying to sweat in new copper parts given all the antifreeze that is involved. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:48:14 PM by 910 »

Edward Buker

Re: Aqua Hot Repair Of Cracked Elbows
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
These are the left side photos which is the side with the pump that tends to fail more often possibly due to the addition of pump vibration. The worst leak on mine was actually the right side but both fittings had cracked...

Later Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Ed,

Great discussion on this repair.  Thanks very much for taking the time and going to the trouble of giving us these details.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
Thanks Karl,

It is a help to me when others have gone before and posted what they did. I don't mind a project, within my skills, but I usually wish I was not the first inline. :-)

I forgot to mention as part of the repair, that awhile back I removed the caulking that is between the boiler drain hose and the stainless base. You can see that valve and the hose near the non business end of the burner in one of my photos. If I get a leak into the stainless base it tends to drain there so I can see it on my cement pad. It also allowed me to keep the stainless base form overflowing while I was draining down the Aquahot engine loop, giving the engine coolant a place to exit to drain. Once the pipe cutter made a small hole in the pipe I would pause until the draining stopped.

The other thing is that it took a pretty good amount of force to remove the pipe fitting off of the pump. I placed a stack of shim shingles under the pump bottom so as not to damage it when I loosened the fitting.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Very nice job Ed, the hoses will take care of any stray vibration issue. Great pictures too.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Thanks Lee... FYI I downloaded the workshop manual for the newer 600 Aqua Hot unit and the interior piping is all rubber hose and constant tension clamps now. I would guess that they have observed the vibration fatigue issue and the leaking copper fittings/unions and have migrated to all soft piping components wherever possible. In retrospect the repair that I did is really following their direction and learning it would seem.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Thanks Lee... FYI I downloaded the workshop manual for the newer 600 Aqua Hot unit and the interior piping is all rubber hose and constant tension clamps now. I would guess that they have observed the vibration fatigue issue and the leaking copper fittings/unions and have migrated to all soft piping components wherever possible. In retrospect the repair that I did is really following their direction and learning it would seem.

Later Ed

Ed, You see you can teach a old dog new tricks and we do actually learn. As I have always stated "If it ain't broken don't fix it and if it is upgrade it". In other words don't keep making the same mistake.
Copper is easy to work harden, basically any movement or flexing will harden it making it more prone to cracking.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
The aqua hot  I have is in a small compartment just wide enough for it to barely fit in the space. Their is access to the top and front of the box, but don't see how you get to where all the plumbing is on the back?

I haven't checked from under the coach yet to see if a panel behind it comes off to gain access......this would make it too properly engineered, I would think.

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
Lamonte,

If it is an Aqua Hot like mine the plumbing is upfront except for the coils around the boiler tank and the boiler inlet and outlets which are not serviceable except with removal and disassembly. The upfront components can be accessed by removing a few screws and two covers if it is a 100 series. If you go to the Aqua Hot site you can download the service manual for your model. The manual has some drawings and possibly photos that show the location of the components.

Later Ed