Author Topic: Antifreeze in Oil  (Read 4750 times)

Doug Till

• BAC Member
Antifreeze in Oil
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
I have a Cummins 8.3 in my 1995 Beaver Patriot. I have had to start adding antifreeze (Fleetguard 50/50 extended life antifreeze) quite regularly during my trip-about 1 gallon every 1000 miles. I had my oil changed before I left on my trip and had Shell Rotella 15W40 installed. I had my oil analyzed at 1600 miles of my trip. The readings were 114 ppm for Sodium, 145 ppm for Potassium and 1.1 ppm for glycol. I had the oil changed and installed Mobil Delvac Elite 15W40 Synthetic. I have now driven 750 miles and had another oil analysis done. The readings are were 58 ppm for Sodium, 98 ppm for Potassium and 0 ppm for glycol. I would like to make it home if I can which is about 1300 miles. I have heard of a couple of home remedies and wonder if they would hurt. One is putting coarse black pepper in the radiator, another is putting mustard in the radiator and then the other is putting Bars Leak-the pellet kind in the radiator. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Doug & Sarah Till
40' 2003 Marquis-Ruby, C12 505 HP

Tom Chace

Re: Antifreeze in Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
That sounds like a head gasket

Just a possibility

Grant Ralston

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Roy, it seems it is a big risk to continue on your trip.  If the leaking gasket or fitting (where ever it is) becomes worse while your driving I would guess serious damage will be done before you even know it happened.  Unless your planning to teardown the engine yourself when you get home, a mechanic at home will cost nearly the same as a mechanic away from home, and the damage may be much less severe now than trying to baby it home and have the oil pump pickup water.  
Perhaps with a few hours of testing a shop can give you a better idea where the coolant leak is to make your decision easier.  You will need to know that answer regardless.
Just my opinion.
Grant

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:13:49 AM »
Roy,   If the  glycol reading is 0 ppm after 750 miles the coolant is more than likely leaking externally. If you do not see any drips.  Put a real low pressure cap on it (7 lb) and put some sealer in it. Make sure you use the right amount of sealer by the amount of coolant in your system. Bars leak concentrate works good. Keep a good eye on your temperature and coolant level. It will be much easier to deal with from home or maybe the sealer will solve the problem.
Good Luck
Steve J

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
If it were me, and the coolant consumption is 1 gallon/1000 miles and you you had 1.1 ppm before changing oil and none since......I would probably push for home and check the coolant level daily adding as necessary.  But than's just me based on the facts as presented.  Changing the pressure cap is a good thought though but I suspect it won't make any difference if your temps are staying below 200 F.

Like I say, that's just me.

Doug Till

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
Thanks for your input. I have an appointment with the local Cummings dealer tomorrow.
Doug & Sarah Till
40' 2003 Marquis-Ruby, C12 505 HP