Author Topic: TV Change  (Read 12241 times)

Dick Simonis

TV Change
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
Our 2002 Marquis has the console mounted TV like our 2000 PT thunder did and I'm looking at replacing the TV (again).  I have several option as I see it:

1)  I can do the same thing we did to the PT which was mount a 32" on an articulating arm which did work out very nicely.
2)  Have someone (either BCS or Sizemore) build a new cabinet in the overhead console.  This has the advantage of being able to go to a much larger TV...42? with the side benefit of eliminating the corner console but raising it to the same height as the rest of the cabinets.
3)  Have an electric ceiling mount installed.  This was an option on the Marquis's of this era so it certainly should be possible.

I would be interested in hearing what others have done in this regard.

thanks

Dick

Gerald Farris

Re: TV Change
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
Dick,
You will probably find that changing your TV to a swing-down ceiling mount is prohibitively expensive unless you use the method that Steve Huber did.
His installation is in this thread; http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3112.0.html

Because I am a mechanic, and not a cabinetmaker, I had Jim Sizemore convert my coach using your second option. The TV is a 40 inch in a fixed mount.
It is discussed in this thread; http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,644.0.html

Gerald

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:32:43 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
I would concur with Gerald's route and that swing down mount and all that goes with it is really expensive, probably in the ballpark of $4K. We love ours but it came with the Patriot Thunder. Rework the cabinet and get as large a tv as will fit.

In case you interested here's the link to LiftMyTv.
http://www.liftmytv.com/products.html

Grant Ralston

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:59:36 PM »
Dick,

When changing out our tube TV we wanted to improve the viewing angle from more sitting locations too.  We removed the mirrors and mounted an articulating arm above the dining table facing forward.  We traded off a smaller TV (about 30" diagonal I think) for the improved lower viewing angles from all locations.  It is possible a larger TV will work there and still be out of the way.  There is good access behind the refrig for routing the power and cable so the connections are hidden.  The arm has the locking feature and the TV travels well tight against the wall.

Grant

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »
I've resized this one for you so we could see it.

Glenda   8)

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
I appreciate the input and yes, my option 2 is high on the list.  

The change I did on our 2000 PT really worked well also so I'm not eliminating that as a possibility.  Being able to pull the TV our and position it for optimum viewing was very nice and the change was quite inexpensive but is limited to a 32" TV.  However, since the TV actually ended up positioned over the back of the drivers seat while in use moved it close to the viewers eyeballs.

Meanwhile I'll speak with both Sizemore and BCS about the possible cabinet changes, cost and timing, when we next visit in June.  Since we may put in MCD windshield shades it might be worthwhile to do the whole thing at one time.

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 02:56:41 AM »
I removed the old CRT type TV that was above the driver's seat on our 2002 Beaver Contessa, moved the bottom of the cabinet up and made a new swing up door.  Ran the coax cable over to the wall behind the small cabinet that is located behind the passenger seat and we use a free standing flat panel TV.  We're using a 32 inch LCD but could go larger if we wanted.  Everyone on the sofa, lounge chair, and dinning table can see the TV.  Since it is free standing there is no special wiring needed and the small cabinet has a pull out tray that holds DVD/Blue Ray players when we need one.  While traveling, the TV sits on the floor next to the wall and the lounge chair and ottoman goes up next to it for security.  I've had some people ask about it bouncing around while traveling.  It doesn't move.  And if I hit something that creates enough force to move the TV, then the TV will be the least of my worries.  We do the same in the bedroom and it works great.  If you need more details let me know.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »

I have been perusing the 40" conversion but the chap here in Tucson that has done quite a few prefers to recess the TV towards the windshield rather than have the face flush with the cabinet front.  His logic is that it makes for better access into the coach but I'm not totally convinced and wanted to see more conversions before making that decision.

Dick
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:33:40 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
Dick,

If you look at the pictures of the 40 inch TV in my coach in "Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome", you will see that the top of my TV is flush with the cabinets and it is angled to make for easier access to the front door while providing a very desirable 90 degree viewing angle as well. 

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:34:07 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
Thank Gerald.  The TV I'm looking at will be 36.7 W X 22.7 H including the frame so it would be a bit shorter than yours and the TV is only 2.6" thick.  It would be mounted at a 10 degree angle but I'm not sure of the offset from center-line.

I'm just not convinced that recessing the TV towards the windshield is completely necessary which is why I'm digging around for more information.  If you were to do it over, would you recess the TV???  If so, how much??

At the same time I will have him install a full length MCD shade with runners down the pillars so if follows the windshield line.  Still up in the air is removing the power curtain and installing manual MCD shades on the drivers window and on the door.

If seems to make sense to do all this at one time since the cabinets will be our anyway.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Dick,
My 40 inch Sony TV is mounted about 6 inches off-center to the driver's side. This was done for easy front door access. Since I retained the factory privacy curtains, the back of the TV cabinet is 1 3/8 inches from the factory curtain rail to allow usage of the power curtains. The bottom of the cabinet is 4 inches thick.

Gerald

Doug Allman

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
We are just completing installing a 42" Samsung LED flat screen 4X 3D TV where the 30" was mounted in the cabinet of our 2004 Marquis. I hit my head there too many times.

It does and will take a rework of the cabinet. It also took rework of the aluminum cross members up in the front of the coach front cap.

We used a WARN ATV snowplow 12v motor with ram as the lifting mechanism to lower and raise the TV. We also reworked a $26.00 mount to adapt to the 24" 1x1 box tube extensions to get the TV clearance to swing up and down and miss the bottom of the left and right cabinets.

In all I have approx $1100.00 for the metal rework completed by my son and $900.00 for the TV. Cabinet work will be most likely another $300.00+.

The 42" now swings down for viewing and also has a swivel to completely clear the entry steps if necessary. It swings up for storage against the ceiling and misses the first center ceiling panel by 2' so we can get cabinet work completed. It is not quite at eye level but a lot lower than the 30" up in the cabinet.

I am going to install a safety strap or latch for when we travel on our smooth interstates but that is yet to be finalized.

With the drop down cabinet that housed the TV gone it really improves the view out of the windshield.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett