Author Topic: Airbag height  (Read 7864 times)

Phil And Carol Upham

Airbag height
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
We have a 2000 Beaver Patriot, two slides and Magnum Chassis.  The Manual indicates 10" for airbag height.  I had the rig in to a very competent, (Statkus Motors in Alb NM), and he indicated they should be raised to 12".  This has been done and there have been no problems but it seems for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction in the Motorhome world.  What are the upsides and downsides of this?
Phil

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Airbag height
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
Agree that Stakus Engines is an extremely competent shop, However, I would be leary about diviating from what the manual says unless I verified it with Monaco/Beaver.  Jim Statkus "adjusted" my ride height and it was not done on compeletly level surface but parked on the street.  Streets are NOT level and my coach 99 Thunder was so lopt-sided that I had to have redone to get the coach to level up properly.  I really like Jim but on some things I question his knowledge.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Driveshaft angle can be out of specification causing abnormal U joint wear. Driveshaft U joint failure can be one big expensive mess and dangerous.

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
Driveshaft angle can be out of specification causing abnormal U joint wear. Driveshaft U joint failure can be one big expensive mess and dangerous.

We recently took a 2000 mile trip.  Hopefully no damage.  I'll discuss this with Statkus and return them to spec.  Thanks to both of you for the response.
Phil

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:39:21 AM »
Looked at the message and just get the drive shaft checked to be sure it is in specification angle. You would get a pretty good vibration prior to failure. Not trying to be an alarmest but have seen a lot of discussion of ride height affecting the U joint wear. Just pay attention.