Author Topic: Bed Supports  (Read 5109 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Bed Supports
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
I have a 2001 Contessa and was wondering why they didn't put any lift rods to raise the bed up?

The bed is so heavy it takes the wife and I to lift it up, then have to support it with a 2x4. Are all the Beavers lift rod less?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bill Sprague

Re: Bed Supports
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
Only strong mechanics are supposed to get under there!  I do keep a matched pair of sturdy PVC pipe for when big mechanics aren't around. 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
LaMonte,
Back in the early to mid 90s, before slides, when lifting the bed was the normal access used for engine service, most Beavers had support struts for the bed platform, although they were not very effective. Also then the entire bed platform was hinged at the headboard, so you could lift the bed without bending the mattress. 

However, since most coaches with slides rarely need the bed lifted. Also the bed platform is hinged under the mattress, and lifting the bed platform can damage an innerspring mattress by bending the wire spring frame, therefore the mattress is usually removed to access under the bed, and removing the mattress makes lifting the platform very easy.

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
Thanks for all the great answers, makes sense to me now.

Learning something new about these everyday.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl