Author Topic: 120 volt electrical problem  (Read 17791 times)

Roy C Tyler

Re: 120 volt electrical problem
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »
Richard
I have a 2003 Monterey Seacliff and I have a panel in the bedroom closet on the driver's side above the hanger bar.  There is also a metal plate next to the panel that , when removed, has 12 volt fuses in it.  Don't know if this will help as I don't know if the MH's are the same.

Ron Johnson

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
Don't know if this will help but on my Coach on the starboard [passenger side] there are 2 other 110 outlets one being under the front lip of the bedroom shelf [over shallow cupboards] and it is a GFI plug. There is another outlet hidden under the bottom drawer adjacent to the back closet. The Bose wave radio is plugged into this and I do not know whether this is GFI or not. Good luck!!!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Quote from: Richard Anderson
First of all, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my issue.  I have looked at every outlet I can find.  There are two GFCI outlets that are not working on the passenger side, one, in the bathroom under the medicine cabinet and one in the basement storage.  I have repeatedly pressed the reset button on both.  There are several other outlets that are not working, but none are GFCI.  All other outlets are working. I have looked everywhere for a sub-panel and can't find one and there is not one in the 120 volt wiring diagram in the owner's manual.  I have checked the inverter and in the spot where the manual says there are 2 pop-out breakers are instead two round metal plugs, so I am assuming my model does not have the breakers.  I am out of ideas, so I guess the next step is to take it in to a service dept.  I am planning on having the MH serviced at the end of the month, so I will wait until then to have someone check it out.  I will report here in a few weeks what they find.  Thanks again everyone!

You may know this and if so I apologize but just in case...if a GFCI does not have power to it the reset button won't work.  So the problem is up stream, so to speak, from that point.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:22 AM »
Richard,

I'm attaching a .jpg from a 2003 Monterey that may be hard to read clearly.  It suggests you have two GFCIs and everything else is downstream from one or the other.  

The diagram suggests that there is a 4 breaker panel near the inverter.  In mine, there is a 4 breaker panel from the inverter but it has been relocated to the bedroom next to the primary panel.  On that panel, one breaker feeds two GFCIs that distribute all the electricity to the accessory circuits.  

If it were me, I would pull the cover off the breaker panel and see if it is "hot" with a volt meter.  If not, it is a problem with the inverter.  If it is hot, it will be a problem with the GFCI, in which case I would pull the cover and check that.

Note that there are "junction boxes" in the circuit.  Each will have wire connected with wire nuts.  They can come loose.  On mine, one did that lead to the A/C units.  

Good luck. I hope the diagram helps.   It is not as sharp as it could be.  I'll be "home" where I can scan a sharper version in a couple days and can send it too you.  Let me know.

Hope this helps.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »
Should fit the screen better!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:04 AM »
Have you tried gen power?  It is possible that you are losing one leg of the 115 in the shore power relay in the TS.  Try turning the ACs on.  Each one operates on a different leg.  If only one will start that might be the problem.  If that is the case try gen power to see if it works.  If they both work on gen power it could be the TS.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Richard Anderson

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
Jerry, both A.C. units work fine.  In fact, everything works except passenger side outlets and 120v lighting.  Hot water heater works on electric, microwave works and all outlets on the driver side work.  Bill, I really appreciate your taking the time to post the electrical diagram.  Everything points to a sub-panel somewhere that likely has a tripped breaker.  The problem is, I can't find the damn thing.  My owner's manual says "The remote inverter panel is located in the living area of your coach. Depending upon the model, the exact location may vary."  Not terribly helpful.  I will continue to look inside the coach.  I have opened every cabinet and drawer starting from the rear of the coach to the front.  Thanks again everybody.

Randy Perry

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
I agree with George, GFI receptacle's go bad! I would shut off all power, remove the GFI's that won't reset, one at a time, spread the wires apart, turn the power back on and see if you have power to one of the black/white combo's you'll find in the box. If (and hopefully you do) mark them, turn power back off, replace with new GFI making sure you land the "power wires" on the end of the GFI marked "Line" and the others would land on "Load" Make sure you land the white wires on the Silver colored screws, and black wires on the copper colored screws! Turn power back on and you should be good to go!! Good luck!  

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »
Quote from: George H. Wall
Richard, GFCI outlets do go bad, there is info on this forum on replacing with better ones, which I have done. These are available @ Lowes or Home Depot. No more problems with cut outs or electricity @ the most inopportune times.  Henry

GFCI's need to be cycled, when I was doing all the NEC grounding survey's for our company we found that about 50% of GFCI's would fail when tested. I would rather protect a electrical circuit with a GFCI breaker. In our Beaver I replaced the GFCI's with regular duplex plugs and changed out the breakers. That was if something trips I only have one place to look, the breaker panel in the bathroom.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 04:49:22 AM »
As an owner of an '06 with factory GFCI integral breakers,  I have to agree with Lee.  Consider replacing the outlet with a standard one and the existing circuit breaker in your panel box with a modern one with a built in GFCI.  It's great having few if any problems with GFCI's and they are all together in one place - in the breaker box.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Anderson

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Great advice guys, thanks!

Richard Anderson

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
Ok, I promised to update everyone once my electrical problem was fixed, so here goes:  I took the coach in to General RV in Orange Park, Fl, to have it serviced and to see if they could find and fix the electrical issue.  They did not find a sub-panel breaker box and they don't believe my particular coach has one even though the owners manual refers to one.  They did find a "junction box" with no breakers in an area just forward of the rear wheels on the passenger side.  This area has a compartment door but no door latch.  The "door" is bolted closed.  It looks like all the other doors except there is no door handle.  Inside this compartment is the junction box buried under insulation.  A wire had come loose in this box.  The wire was re-attached and all other connections were tightened and all works fine now.  Thanks to everyone who replied.