Author Topic: Water leak  (Read 20233 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Water leak
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
An interesting thing happened recently.  After reading part of another thread, I decided to reseal the flange and rivets on the top side of the awning box.  We have had a leak over the entry door since we bought the coach and indications are that the PO had it too.Instead of removing the awning like we did on our last coach, I removed the silicon sealant on the seam.  While doing this it became obvious that the silicon has been allowing water through for some time.  Resealing this with Lexal has aparently done the trick because it is nearly dry after several inches of rain.  The old sealant looked like it was doing its job before I began removing it.
Just a heads up for anyone with a leak right on top of the door!
Keith
 ;D
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Gary Wolfer

Re: Water leak
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
Keith I had a leak behind the porch light when I took the lens off and changed the light to LED. I got it to stop leaking with silicone but I ordered some lexel and will redo it if that stuff is good as they claim. They say you can even use it in the rain.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »
This is a timely post for me as I discovered a significant leak over the door of my 2000 Marquis on my most recent trip.  Water was virtually pouring in over the entry door about 10 days ago while in rain in Oregon.  I took off the interior trim above the door and it is obvious that it has been leaking for some time.  We just got the coach in July and hadn't encountered any rain.  I guess the stains on the fabric should have tipped me off.

I will try your solution to see if that takes care of it.  Not sure how to track down the leak if this isn't the problem.

Grant Ralston

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:14 AM »
In addition to the light fixture box and the awning box, another place to check is the horizontal joint between your front cap and sidewall just above the awning over the door.  It is difficult to check without removing the gutter strip that covers the joint.  So check all the easier places first.  I found our aluminum gutter strip that covers the joint on the drivers side attempting to seal an open gap about 3/8" wide between the front cap and the wall panel.   
Good Luck
Grant
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
Gary
The Lexel went on very well even though it was cooling off rapidly and froze shortly after.  Between times it rained a fair amount starting just as I was finishing.  No problems with it sticking or setting up.

Jim
Keep us updated on the results and dont forget to seal the porch light.  In the chase over the door are the mounting brackets for the door frame.  These make the leak appear to be comming from other areas due to pooling.  We have hand towels hanging from this area with one end jamed into the space around the brackets.  They help wick away the water and minimize the damage.  We just change them out every few days.  I hope this works as well for you as for us.  Some of the original silicone looked solid but when I removed it it wasnt sealing anything so this should make a big difference.  I hope it does for you as well.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Had a couple inches of rain yesterday.  Since the reseal it has been nearly bone dry and the coach has not moved still it started leaking again.  Snow tonight and barely above freezing tomorrow for the high so no caulking.  Still, I believe we solved the worst of the problem.  Somewhat frustrating though.  Time to focus on pink antifreeze as it is expected to reach 19 degrees tomorrow night.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:40 AM »
OK, I think I found the leak source. It looks like the caulking at the front lower corner of the awning, between the awning box and the opening for the box.  I ran water over the entire awning area and no water leaked in until water was directed to this area.  My wife watched inside while I did this.

I retracted the awning to get some extra working room and then I pulled out all of the old silicone - it appeared to be a repair made some time ago as it was generously applied to every crack, rivet and seam - and then used Lexel to form a new bead around the entire area. 

It will be rainy in the next few days so I can see if it solved the problem.  However,  while the awning was out I checked the other end and noticed that the entire awning box was pulled away from the body.  I can only guess that the mounting hardware is loose or maybe the nuts came off.  I found two nuts missing from the front mounting bolts while having repairs done at BCS.

Does anyone know how to access this hardware?  I fear it is behind the refrigerator.

Just looked at the post and the picture is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.  Not sure why it did that or how to fix it.

(Re-Corrected orientation and re-posted photo. Steve Huber)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:09:24 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Grant Ralston

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »
Jim
I was able to reach inside the cavity behind the refrig with a camera in hand, point it up and take a series of photos showing awning attachment bolts.  See my photo.

Grant

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the picture of the mounting hardware.  I guess I have my work cut out for me. 

Steve, thanks for changing the picture orientation however,  it is now upside down.  If you could change it again I would appreciate it. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
Oops.. Corrected.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
Jim,
I can not be sure where you awning is bolted in without looking at the coach, but my 2000 Marquis Tourmaline is not bolted behind the refrigerator. The awning is bolted in the locations. One is above the door, the next location is in the center of awning behind a covered removable panel in the back of the cabinet, and the rear location is above the washer behind a removable wood panel. I doubt that the awning is bolted behind the refrigerator on your Jasper.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:21:30 AM »
Thanks,  Gerald.   I see the center mounting hardware in the cabinet above the dining table.  I can't find the rear ones and believe they may be behind the bathroom mirror as this is about where the awning ends.  I can't figure out how to get the mirror off, though.

Anyone know how to do this?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »
Jim,
The mirrors in coaches are normally glued to the wall w/mirror adhesive to prevent movement, rattling and possible breakage. Suspect access to the mounting bolts is elsewhere.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
Jim,
I am with Steve in that I would be doubtful of finding the awning mounting bolts behind the mirror. I would call BCS (Beaver Coach Sales) Service department tomorrow and ask if they remember where the mount is located on your coach.

Gerald

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 03:12:50 AM »
The only other possibility that I can see is behind the refrigerator.   I checked the cabinet to the left of the mirror and they are not there.  Just forward of that is the pocket door to the bathroom and then the refrigerator is forward of that.  No access hatches or mounting hardware is visible in any of these locations.

I will call BCS tomorrow. 

Thanks to you all.  I'll keep you posted.