Author Topic: Wipers  (Read 5440 times)

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
Wipers
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
I have a 2006 Beaver Marquis. Have a problem with wiper on drivers side. The shaft that comes thru the front cap has lost all of the splines and where the wiper blade goes on shaft splines are gone also. Anyone have a fix untill I can get home.
2006 Marquis

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Wipers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
sounds like you will need all new parts try BCS in Bend, in the short run you could drill a hole and use a cotter pin or a screw I think this would get you home fine
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Bobby,
There are several methods that can be used to make a temporary repair for your issue. You can make some splines on the tapered shaft with a pair of Vise Grips, and install a small amount of a structural adhesive like JB Weld. You also may need to use a washer under the retaining nut to make sure that the arm is firmly seated.

If you decide to use the drilled hole method that Jerry recommended, I would use a hardened roll pin that is available at any hardware store instead of a soft cotter pin. The roll pin will have solid fit in the hole, allowing no movement, and be much harder to break when in use.

Gerald   

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
Better to have wipers of course.  However, the original and concentrated form of Rain X helps a lot if you have to drive without wipers. 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Good suggestion, Bill.  In my experience, RainX works better than wipers, especially at highway speeds, and even more especially with lots of rain.  Whereas a wiper must make swipes, leaving your vision spot untouched for a short period of time, RainX is working all the time and all over the area where it is applied.  One thing though, RainX needs to be applied every week, more or less, in rainy conditions.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
I use RainX routinely on my windshield regardless of having good wipers and prefer to run with the wipers off. RainX should get you home without a problem even in the hardest rain.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
Thanks for all your info. I used the drill and roll pin method. Will also get the RainX. Thanks again.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis