Author Topic: Coach towing  (Read 5346 times)

Adam Hicklin

Coach towing
« on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
I will need to have my coach towed back to a Cat service center today. I'm guessing they (Cat) will send a tow truck.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when having it towed?  I know the drive shaft needs to be removed.  Anything else?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Coach towing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
maybe your mud flap, I just had my 06 Pat towed and the drive line and mud flap came off, I wanted a bus trailer but gave up and went with the hook, no problems at all
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Make certain they mark your drive line before removing so when it is reinstalled you don't get it 180 degrees out.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
My friend Wally Kimble had his towed a couple years ago.  He had some fiberglass damaged.  His story was that some Beavers have the front axle a longer distance from the front end than the typical commercial truck.  Coupled with some tow trucks that may not have "long arms", the hookup may not leave enough space between the Beaver front cap and the back of the tow truck. 

The tow truck company paid for the repair to his fiberglass.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »
Adam,
If you have a roadside assistance policy like Coach Net, you will usually need to call them yourself, or they will not pay the tow bill.

Gerald

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
We had to be towed last year. When the tow truck arrived I questioned the operator and he assured me that he had towed many motorhomes in the past. He tried to be careful and I could tell he knew what he was doing but the way he positioned the arms and bar under the coach still damaged the exhaust on the generator and bent the housing on the top of the generator also.
We discovered this when we tried to run the generator slide out at the Cat dealer. It made some scraping noises and  then a loud clunking noise. The shop foreman was right there and we all got to looking and discovered the damage to the generator exhaust. I think the damaged occurred as the tow truck crossed several RR tracks on the way to the shop and the tow truck driver did not use a lot of common sense when he was driving as I had a hard time keeping up with him in the toad!
We took pictures and the repairs {$800} to the generator were paid by the towing company.
I was sure glad we all took a good look when we got to the Cat dealer and I was thankful we did it during the day and that I had followed him rather then go on home.We were only 70 miles from home but they towed the coach the opposite direction.
I guess my point is you need to be very pro-active in the towing operation and watch everything if possible.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll be on the lookout for those things mentioned.  Quinn Cat in Oxnard is supposed to send someone out to assess a brake problem that appeared as I was driving it home from a brake service that they perfromed.  If it's safe to drive, I'll drive it back to them.  If not, it will be towed (65 miles) and I know who WON'T be paying for that tow.