Author Topic: Good Sam, AAA or?  (Read 17351 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Good Sam, AAA or?
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:00:41 AM »
Looking for recommendations on roadside assist program. We have AAA for our cars and there is an upgrade option to add our motorhome.  Any thoughts?

Larry

PS: we are a week away from picking up our '99 Contessa!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Good Sam, AAA or?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
I was with AAA for several decades, including using it several times when our old Pace Arrow broke down.  But AAA is not as motorhome specific as it could be, and several years after getting the Beaver, which as I recall came with a complimentary year of Coach-Net, we switched from AAA to Coach-Net.  We've used it once and we're glad we had it, because I could talk to one of their tech mechanics to help diagnose the issue before they ordered up a tow truck.  AAA doesn't offer that, and it provides the possibility you may be able to self-repair and avoid a tow altogether.

The main reason for switching was that FMCA offers a discount for Coach-Net that helped knock the cost well below what AAA runs.   And they automatically cover all of our other vehicles even though the coach is the primary reason for it.  AAA charged for different levels of coverage;  Coach-Net was simpler and provided a lot more for my buck.  I had been griping for years about the cost of AAA, and that part of my dues went for their fancy magazine and its articles and ads that mostly were irrelevant to me.

As I recall, some coach insurance providers offer Coach-Net as part of their services, including BAC club sponsor Overland Insurance Agency's companies.  That can be a good way to save on both your coach insurance and your travel service all together. ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
Larry
Joel is probably right on the money but we still have the AAA we purchased with our older coaches, before the diesel pusher era.  With our first Beaver we broke down in a bad spot and were only able to communicate via wifi.  We got help on this forum and rigged a bypass to get home on.  AAA would have towed us but we still would have paid a fair amount.  Point being we were able to get timely info by way of this forum so that helped.

Picking up the new motorhome?  WOW what a Christmas present.  I hope you get extra helpings at all the Holiday dinners this year!  We are cheering for ya!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
We have AAA RV.
We have been towed three times. Service was very good. If you have to be towed, remember to explain to the person on the line that you need to have the tow truck for semis. Many of them do not understand how big our "campers" are. All costs were paid for by AAA.
We can recommend AAA.
Connie B. 8)

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
We highly recommend Coachnet. We signed up with them when we bought our Beaver and we have used it twice. Once we had to have the Beaver towed and once when our toad also had problems and they were very helpful each time.We did not need to tow the car as they helped me with a "fix" over the phone.

We have never had AAA or any other service to compare with but I would be very leery of moving to another service after doing business with Coachnet. Very professional and totally in tune with the motorhome aspect of road service. When we had to tow the Beaver I was very worried and I did not want to tow it at all. Their people were very patient and tried to help in every way possible to help me figure out what was wrong and when they finally sent the tow they located a huge and totally reliable tow service. Unfortunately my Beaver still sustained some damage from the tow but it was minor.
If you ever need towing try very hard to get a huge flat-bed tow truck and not "the hook"

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
We originally had AAA RV plus and used it on 3 tows a couple of years ago. The service was great. However, AAA was not any help on where to tow us for RV specific problems (transmission and overheat). We switched to Coach-Net last year due to the positive posts on this forum regarding their specific RV knowledge. Also, if you insure you rig through Overland Insurance agency you receive a significant break on the Coach Net premium each year.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »
+1 on Coachnet!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
Coachnet.  We had to have our Jeep towed twice in two weeks last spring and no questions.  Tow was there in 30 minutes.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:16 AM »
Thanks, folks.  We decided on Coach-Net and went with the top package.  Hope we aren't frequent flyers.

Larry

Bill Randle

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
When considering AAA, be sure to read the details of their road assist coverage closely. We were considering AAA until I found this in the Member's Guide:

Dual-wheel campers/motor homes are eligible for lockout, fuel delivery, and jump start services only. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for all services except tire service.

In other words, no towing or tire services for a dual wheel motor home, which most (if not all) of ours are. This for AAA Oregon. Other state or regional AAA institutions may have different coverage.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »
I'm not sure that's quite right, Bill.  Our old Pace Arrow class A had starter problems for a couple years (until I finally sleuthed the cause), and was towed 4 or 5 times by AAA Oregon.  Are you sure your quote isn't for the basic AAA service level?  A higher premium for, if I remember the name correctly, AAA Plus RV should not include such a clause.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Randle

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
I called AAA and asked and after she conferred with someone else, she confirmed what it said in the Members' Guide. If you look in the RV Plus coverage, it says you get the same coverage as the Plus membership, only for your Motorohome. If you look in Plus it says you get everything in Standard, but with higher limits (essentially). It also says to refer to the Roadside Assistance section for more details. That's where the text I quoted above is.

Maybe it's a recent addition to their coverage exclusions or maybe nobody checks the fine print and you lucked out. i don't know....

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
I needed a tow about 6 weeks ago I used AAA with no cost to drop Drive Line and pull mud flap plus swing the mirrors I had wanted a flat bed tow but was not able to get this service at this location. I was towed about 20 miles on the hook with no problem.
I have had AAA since 1965 and have also upgraded to RV plus.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Randle

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
Jerry, I see you are in Washington. Washington's AAA has different coverage for towing than Oregon. Washington's info states:
Vehicles eligible for AAA Classic, AAA Plus and AAA Premier emergency road service are four-wheeled, motor-driven vehicles of the passenger or pleasure types. Rented passenger vehicles and pickup trucks, including dual-wheeled pickup trucks, also are eligible.
and
In addition to vehicles eligible under AAA Classic, AAA Plus and AAA Premier, an AAA Plus RV or AAA Premier RV membership provides you with coverage for the following eligible vehicles: factory RVs, pickups with campers (including dual-wheeled campers); and motorcycles. In addition, eligible vehicles towing the following eligible trailers: boat, travel, horse, motorcycle, snowmobile, personal watercraft, golf, car, utility, and select small rental trailers that meet specific outlined trailer guidelines.
Note that it says it specifically includes dual-wheel vehicles, unlike Oregon's coverage.
Finally, there's also this note which confirms that different regions may have different coverage:
Service Outside of AAA Washington's Area
Your AAA ERS coverage is valid throughout the United States and Canada. However, slight variations in the method of delivery of service may be experienced when outside AAA Washington's geographical territory. Due to the size of some RVs, not all AAA service providers are capable of providing tire changing, towing and winching services. Service outside AAA Washington's territory is provided according to the rules and regulations of the AAA/CAA organization in whose territory the disablement occurs. Members may apply for reimbursement consideration if charged for a service in another AAA/CAA organization's territory that would have been provided without charge if the disablement had occurred in AAA Washington's territory.
(Emphasis mine.) I could also add that Oregon has length restrictions on trailers (28', I believe), which Washington doesn't have.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:28:22 PM by Bill Randle »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
Great that you found this I had no idea just lucky I guess

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13