Author Topic: Generator is being pulled for service  (Read 7211 times)

Dick Simonis

Generator is being pulled for service
« on: November 28, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Our 10KW genny began shutting down due to overheating and after investigating all the potential causes....yep looks like a slipping fan belt.  So I contacted Premier Coach here in Tucson (we've used them before) and it's going in Monday.

The plan is to do a complete service since it will be out including coolant change, oil and filter, fuel filter, and etc.  Eric suggested that the water pump be replaced also but I wonder if that is necessary with 1100 hours.  He estimates the whole operation will take 4.5 hours or less to pull, repair, and re-install which seems pretty reasonable.

Is there anything else I should have them look at while it's in the shop?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Generator is being pulled for service
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
Yes...  consider ALSO replacing the temperature sensor and thermostat.  In fact, it could be that your temperature sensor is the problem - not the belt.  It would depend upon the error code the generator gives you when it shuts down.  Also, consider replacing the crimp-style hose tighteners with screw-type tighteners, especially any crimp-style tighteners that are loosened to pull a hose off.

When I had my generator problems in the past year (twice) I put detailed replies (two detailed replies) into the this forum describing my error codes and repairs.  If you have time, then you might do a search and read them.

My problem description and repair:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3122.msg23461.html#msg23461
                                                     Read and scroll up...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:32:19 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »
David, that's a good suggestion on the sensor...hadn't thought of that one.  I did confirm that the genny was actually overheating by watching the temp buildup on the radiator with and IR gun.  When it got to 230 or so it shut down.  Plus, when I started it there was a slight telltale squeal I figured was the fan belt slipping.

Kathy Pylar

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »
Dick, it was a pleasure meeting you today at Premier Coach.  Your new to you Beaver is one of the best looking interiors I've seen.  Look forward to meeting you again done the road. 

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »
AHHH, Update on the genny.

Besides meeting great Beaver folks at Premier, it's been an interesting experience.

When I took it in, all went reasonable well and they had it out, replaced all the parts and back in in several hours.  Shortly after getting it back in place the manure made contact wit rotating blade in a big way.  Seem that the coolant ran out almost as fast as it was poured in and the tech could see a crack in the radiator header at the drain plug.  Naturally this was a pre-existing condition so we haggled a few minutes and I agreed to pay for the radiation if it was indeed pre-existing but they would pick up the labor....so out it comes again.

By this time they have this removal thing down pat and it was on the shop floor in 45 minutes with the radiator on the bench.  On close inspection the crack was indeed in the tank but you could see where the brass bushing for the drain plug had been twisted from too much force.  Sooo, I spent the night there while they tried to locate a radiator and it turns out these are proprietary to Onan and not to be had anywhere......dealer cost ~$800.00. with a several day lead time.  With that news I headed for home and left the genny on their floor.

Last week I got a call that it was ready so off I go to Premier this morning.  By noon the genny was in and running so I sat there for a couple or hours with the gen set running under a good load.  When I got the bill I was pleasantly surprised at the bill which was less than I expected and their attitude that they screwed up and that was just the way it was.  No mention of me participating the radiator cost.

Overall I am very pleased with Premier and this is the second time I have used them.  The only downside is that nothing is every ready when they say it will be but I can overlook that to a point if the work is good and they stand behind it.  I would have no problem recommending Premier with the one caveat that things take longer than they expect.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:14:35 AM »
You are lucky that they shared in the radiator cost!  I had a similar experience at the old Monaco facility in Las Vegas, didn't find out about it until making my yearly run up to Oregon when the gen overheated.  Over-tightened radiator drain by Monaco in LV after servicing the generator.  The radiator is made in Mexico, and I had to wait for a production run.  Ended up leaving the gen set on the floor in Coburg, drove home to LV, then had to go back later and get the gen re-installed.  Good fun, eh?