Author Topic: Restoration Project - 92 Beaver Marquis  (Read 20801 times)

JCMillerSr

Restoration Project - 92 Beaver Marquis
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
We are now officially owners of a 1992 Beaver Marquis that, although in good condition, will need a little TLC.  My desire is to return the coach to its' original condition or as close as possible.  The first step is to test everything and determine exactly what works and what needs to be repaired or replaced.  From that point I will need recommendations on where to start trying to find the best sources for parts.  Right now I need to find an entry door latch set unless I can repair the existing one. Also the dash AC is out of commission and will need to be checked out. 

DW has fallen in love with the style of vertical blinds that were original equipment on certain models of this vintage and although the previous owner has installed the newer accordion style blinds in the living area they are in need of replacement.  I know most people are trying to replace the older style blinds but as I previously stated we want to go back to the original design wherever possible.  Does anyone have a source for these blinds or perhaps are thinking about changing out theirs and would like to sell the old hardware? 

As we begin this process I have no doubt there will be many parts and pieces to be replaced.  We are lucky to have most of the original Owner Manuals and can at least identify what was used originally but so many companies have changed hands or are no longer in business it is hard to know where to begin.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Gerald Farris

Re: Restoration Project - 92 Beaver Marquis
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »
JC,
There are two locations that may be able to help you. The first is BCS (Beaver Coach Sales). There are several employees at BCS like Ken Carpenter, who worked at the Beaver factory when your coach was originally built.

The other location is Northwest RV Supply in Eugene, Oregon. They have purchased excess parts inventory from all of the Oregon based motorhome builders for many years, and they have many obsolete parts that can be very difficult, if not impossible to locate anywhere else.

Gerald   

JCMillerSr

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have been in touch with both Beaver Coach Sales & Service as well as Northwest RV Supply in trying to identify the entry door lock.  Northwest was able to provide me with the manufacturer and the model number but unfortunately did not have them in stock any longer.  Apparently the Bargeman L300 locks were discontinued around 2010 and are now very hard to find.  I did see one online for about $350 but decided to pass.  There are sources for reconditioned locks for around $150 as well.  I finally found a used lock at COLAW RV SURPLUS in Carthage, MO. for around $75.  Between the existing lock and purchasing the used one I should be able to assure myself that I can put together a working lock.  If not, I have found a couple of links to companies that will rebuild your existing locks if necessary.

Now on to the next project.  Trying to find wall light fixtures for the living room and bedroom.  All of the fixtures were removed by the previous owner.  Trying to find 12v fixtures with the two part arm so that the can be adjusted for better light while reading.  Looking at some of the older pictures I believe the original fixtures were brass with a neutral color shade.  Any good sources for light fixtures would be very helpful.

Jack

PS: Still looking for vertical blinds and hardware for the living area if anyone can provide a source.

JCMillerSr

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
According to the DW one of the priority items on our "to do" list for our new home is to install cabinet pulls on all of the doors and drawers.  So far, all of the catches seem to be functioning properly and in most cases probably too good.  Since there were no pull knobs installed originally all cabinets and drawers are opened by pulling on the side of the drawer/door face and pulling.  It only took two broken fingernails before I was instructed that installing cabinet pulls needed to be near the top of my list.  Since I have nothing to match to I am hoping someone can give me a good source for vintage cabinet hardware.  So far I have ordered a catalog from Woodworkers Supply but still waiting to receive it in the mail.  May look at Lowes and Home Depot for some ideas but would rather buy somewhere that will give me a better deal based on the quantity I will be buying.  Suggestions please!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Builders Hardware??  http://www.builders-hardware.com/default.aspx

For vintage, try Nicholson Hardware here in town. Amerock was headquartered and manufactured here and Nicholson's has a lot of old stuff made by them.

http://www.nicholsonhardware.com/

Good luck with your project.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

JCMillerSr

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
Stan,

Thanks for the links on cabinet hardware.  I like the selection offered by Nicholson and should be able to find something we like.  You mentioned Amerock Hardware in your post.  Is this the manufacturer of the hardware used by Beaver in the earlier coaches?  If not, do you or anyone else know the brand that was used in the 1992 models?

JCMillerSr

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
Last week I spent most of my time testing out everything on the new to us 1992 Marquis.  It took a while due to the fact that I am still trying to learn where everything is and how it is supposed to work.  One of the first projects was to repair a leaking toilet due to a faulty vacuum breaker.  Decided to go ahead and replace all the old seals since I had everything taken apart.  The repairs went well with no problems and we now are leak free.  Next I tackled the entry door latch.  I found a used replacement latch online at Colaw Salvage in Carthage, MO that was in good working condition.  After installing the latch I realized that the door had sagged over the years due to wear on the plastic hinge inserts.  Unable to find new inserts I was able to retrofit the hinges using stainless steel washers.  With the addition of the washers the door is back in alignment and closes and latches with ease.  Moving to my next project I tackled both of the vent fans which had stopped working.  I removed both fan housings (interior side only) and cleaned everything up checking each electrical connection.  With the help of Fantastic Vent and a new wiring diagram in hand I reinstalled each fan.  To my surprise they are both working perfectly now including the temperature controls, rain sensors and speed controls.  I did decide to order two new lift motors since the original motors did not have any way to manually open or close the lid.  Next I moved to the drivers area and tackled the map lights that no longer worked.  Luckily the problem here was simply a bad ground connection that was easily fixed once I was able to track the wires.  Moving next to the drivers power seat.  Again a simple fix with only a loose connection to the seat controls.

Unfortunately there we a couple of items that could not be repaired.  The speedometer has stopped working and a replacement will be ordered once the VDO dealer has tested the old one and pronounced in DOA.  Also, the refrigerator has gone to greener pastures (the dump).  This was the original Dometic which had been refurbished with a new cooling unit back in 2001.  Fortunately or unfortunately the manufacturer stopped producing cooling units for this model in 2012 so we have ordered a new unit which will be installed right after the holidays.

For the next week I plan to take a vacation from this project and enjoy family and friends.  After the holidays I will resume my efforts and have no doubt that there will be plenty to keep me busy.  My primary goal right now is to make sure all essential components are working so that we can take a trip with some of our fellow RVers to the Port St Lucie area for a triple birthday celebration for the wives (all three wives have birthdays in the same week).  Once we return it will be back to work and shortly I hope to get into a few modifications/upgrades to the old girl (the coach not the wife).

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all my fellow Beaver owners.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
For brochures and schematics given to techs working on Beavers 1974-1994 go to:

https://sites.google.com/site/beavermotorhomehistory/beaver-coaches-inc

Connie Bradish 8)

JCMillerSr

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
Thanks Connie.  I actually have already been to the link you provided numerous times.  Also, I consider myself extremely lucky that the previous owner(s) of my Beaver managed to keep just about all of the manuals and brochures intact.  I also have a considerable amount of the maintenance records as well.  That said, if anyone out there in BAC land needs information related to a 92 Beaver Marquis I may be able to help.  Once the major portions of my renovation are done I plan to scan as much of the information as I can and submit it to be posted on the website for others to share.  So far I have only had time to submit the brochure.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 04:18:21 AM »
Back in those days Most of the companies in oregon like Country Coach and Safari as well as Beaver used many of the same vendors and similar parts. The suspension, brakes and frame parts were usually International truck parts including brake drums and discs. Master cylinders and so forth. I had a 94 Safari and the defrost fan and duct work was out of a Chevy pick up. They also used a lot of Ford Parts. I also visit the Used Parts store that Gerald Mentioned and they have alot of drawer pulls and cabinet hinges that could work for you. They may even have some wall paper left overs. Many Safari Parts probably are interchangable as they had a close relationship. Oh Yeah for referigerator and ice maker and air roof air conditioner parts you can get them fixed at Laurelhurst Distributing in Portland Oregon just ask for ED. They supplied all of these coach builders and still do. Coach Glass in Eugene did windshields and other glass as well. Good Luck there are alot of parts still around Oregon. When Safari Closed in Harrisburg they abandoned all of their parts inventory and Monaco did not use it. Safari Friends on Yahoo.com is another source for researching parts. Many of those guys have been around a long time and have 96 and prior year coaches.

JCMillerSr

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:24:39 AM »
Finally back to work after the holidays.  While we are still waiting on the new refrigerator to be delivered there are plenty of items to be taken care of.  Spent three days tracking down some of the low voltage wiring issues where things were not working.  Finally diagnosed the majority of the problems were due to an open ground on one of the circuits.  Ran a new ground wire and it looks like all the lights are now working.  Received the new speedometer today which will be installed tomorrow.

While working on the electrical issues I noticed what appeared to be a small leak under the kitchen sink cabinet near the water heater.  After unsuccessfully trying to fit my 250 lb. body into a 24 inch cabinet I determined the only way to truly investigate the problem was to remove the water heater.  As soon as I began the removal it became apparent that the water heater was the culprit.  The back side of the tank was covered with corrosion to the point that I could not believe it was actually working at all.  After completely removing the unit there was no doubt that it needed to be replaced.  The dirt and "sludge" that came out when I drained it was enough to make me lose my appetite!  My guess is that this was the original water heater and had not been drained in 23 years.  Glad my wife did not see what came out or I would be instructed to make this a weekly maintenance item.  Anyway, the new water heater has been ordered and should be installed tomorrow afternoon or the next day for sure. 

Next item on the list will be to figure out how to add some reinforcement to the roof ladder brackets to stabilize the ladder.  Several screws are loose and not really finding anything to tighten up too.  Thinking I will have to use a bolt long enough to go through the entire rear wall and add a metal plate on the inside for backup.  If anyone has dealt with this problem I am open to suggestions.

If all goes well, we will take a break from the restoration portion of this adventure and take a couple of weeks off to travel over to the coast to meet up with some of our long time RV friends.  That is of course depending on whether we have a refrigerator and hot water so keep your fingers crossed.

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:32:21 AM »
JC,

Sounds to me like you have some stripped out glass holes where the ladder mounts. You may be able to fill them with epoxy or fiberglass strands and resin with a filler. Then re-drill the holes and remount.

You could also make a set of aluminum or Delrin plates with a wider footprint then the current ladder mounts and use 6 new spaced holes in the new metal mounting plate rather than the current 4 holes to add strength. The new plates would extend beyond the current ladder mounting foot, length and width wise, by 3/4 inches and they would be placed under the current plates. You would drill the current ladder mount holes into the new plate and fasten both plates together with either sheet metal screws or you could tap the lower plate hole and use machine screws. Basically you are remounting the ladder with more substantial plates and all new holes near the perimeter of the new plates. You would be using the current mounting holes to fasten the two plate together.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »
Helped a friend repair his ladder mounting. Used stainless plates a bit bigger then the ladder feet, matched the holes in the ladder feet, drilled and tapped them for 10/32 SS machine screws that just bumped through the plate, drilled four new holes in the plates  to mount on the coach and even used clear silicone to glue and screw plates and ladder to the coach. It is still holding stong after a few years.
We used the stainless plates so we didn't have to mess with painting.