Author Topic: Is the rear-view camera adjustable on '05 Monterey?  (Read 6140 times)

Bill Randle

Is the rear-view camera adjustable on '05 Monterey?
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
The rear-view camera on our 2005 Monterey points downward to give a view of the rear bumper and hitch area. Is there anyway to adjust this to move the view further out to make it more useful? As far as I know, this is the stock Sony camera. From the outside, it's all sealed up and not movable. I haven't tried to look from the inside yet.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Is the rear-view camera adjustable on '05 Monterey?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:51:52 AM »
Bill,
There should be a removable panel on the back wall (mine is inside the closet) that will give you access to the camera. Not sure about adjustments. The camera in the Marquis was adjustable by sliding it up or down a slotted mount. If yours is the same, a bit of shimming should give you the tilt you apparently need.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Bill Dean

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »
I'm having mine replaced by Jim Sizemore for similar reasons. I'm not interested in shimming up the camera and not seeing the tow hitch - that's simply not safe or prudent. At the same time, I do want to see further back in order to reaffirm from more than the side view mirrors that it's safe to change lanes. These Sony cameras don't do the job and plenty newer do.

Bill Randle

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:13:03 AM »
Bill, which model camera did you get and do you mind if I ask how much Jim is charging? I work about a 1/2 mile from his shop, so it's certainly convenient for me.

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:15:01 AM »
I'll second that request. Thanks.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Bill Dean

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »
I can check with Jim but this is a small part of the mods he's doing.
He's taking out the single din radio and replacing it with a double din in the same place with integrated radio having GPS, iPhone integration and color rear camera monitor.
In addition, he's matching the rear area tile with new front tile including steps with new carpet in between. Also, a new couch is being installed. He's replacing the rear grout, adding some custom woodwork and refinishing some scratched wood surfaces.
Having replaced the tires with new Conti's earlier this year along with Konis from Henderson, the rig is looking brand new (I keep it in inclosed storage here in N. CA.).

Bill Randle

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:58:26 AM »
Sounds like some nice upgrades. Ours has a double-DIN receiver/CD-player now, but the CD doesn't work, so we'll be replacing it this spring. Are you hanging out in Bend while the work is being done, or did you just drop it off? If the former, we should hook up for a cup of coffee sometime.

Bill Dean

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »
We drove it up to Jim two weeks ago and are planning on picking it up next Friday (weather permitting). With holidays, shopping, friends visiting we couldn't wait around but are anxious to see the results first hand (Jim sends us photos regularly.