Author Topic: LED Replacements for the halogens  (Read 10114 times)

Tic Wilson

LED Replacements for the halogens
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
Enjoying Quartzsite and visiting with Gary Doran, I thought others might also be interested.
We have replaced all the halogen bulbs with LEDs.  I learned about this from a Monaco owner.
Today, 1/16/2015, this is a current link.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-G4-6-9-12-24-LED-5050-3528SMD-Pure-Warm-White-RV-Boat-Light-Lamp-Bulb-DC-12V-/371023172918?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

If in the future, this link does not work search eBay for 10X-G4-6-9-12-24-LED-5050-3528SMD

For about $8.00 you receive a package with 10 LEDs.  They come in two flavors, white/white and warm/white.
We purchased both and feel the warm white is what most people would want.

These are mailed direct to you from Hong Kong, so it takes a while to arrive.  AND, the leads will be too long, so you will have to cut off about 3/16".
We have had these installed since Aug 2014 and have had no bad experience.  They do not produce the heat, nor do they consume as much energy.
2005 Monterey
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Jerry Sanders

Re: LED Replacements for the halogens
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:55 PM »
Tic,
I'm glad to hear about your favorable experience with these led lights.  I have been holding off making the change but I'm ready now!  In the Ebay web site the bulbs listed show 6,9,12,24 leds in each bulb.  Which one did you select and does it give you the same light level as those halogen bulbs? The prospect of changing about 4 dozen bulbs sounds like a long afternoon project. Ouch!

Jerry

Tic Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:40:04 AM »
We used the nine leds.  Light output is subjective, but probably slightly less than the halogens.  The key word here being slight.  And I was following my friend's advice and considered the diameter of the packed leds.  These fit easily within the existing mount and reflectors.

Tic Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:25 AM »
As far as time to exchange the lamps, shoot, we were done within two hours, changing out every halogen lamp in the coach.
We did use tissue to remove the halogens and wrap them individually just in case we had to put some back, but so far that has not been necessary.

Matthew Harger

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 04:14:13 AM »
Tic -  I did the same a few months back but purchased from a different company that was more expensive, go figure.  I  think I want to buy a 10-pack from this guy to have as spares.  Ours are very bright white and give the perception of being bluish but aren't really.  Did you find the pure white to be similar to this color since you bought both and compared them?

Tic Wilson

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »
I purchased a total of 50 LEDs.  30 as warm/white and 20 as white/white.  We found we like the warm white for the living area.  The white/white are similar to florescent lights and we don't like them as well, altho in some instances they are fine, for example as an under cabinet light over the bathroom sink. 
I ordered the quantity so we too would have spares, but thus far, no failures.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
When I purchased LED lights, I went onto our Amazon portal and found out that I could compare prices and also found out I could get them cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else.  Give our Amazon portal a try.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Tic Wilson

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »
Purchasing from Amazon portal will result in a faster delivery for sure, but I also shopped Amazon and did not find them to be less.
Can you provide a current weblink?  I'm sure others would like to see.  The eBay purchase is about $8.00 for ten LEDs.  I saw only one offer for a package of ten and it was $23.99.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
They were out of the soft/warm white so I got 20 of the bright white for the kitchen and under cabinets, found some others on EBay in warm white cost a little more a little over a buck each. A Patriot Thunder has a lot of these lights if I remember correctly 36 total. Delivery end of the month or by 10 Feb we'll see how good this holds up.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:08 AM »
For comparable brightness to halogens, I found that you need to have at least 300 lumen in the warm white. With a 50/50 LED that is the 12 chip unit.  Downside is that the diameter of the PC substrate may not fit in the fixture. I was able to use a sander to remove excess PC board so they would fit (1st batch order). I ordered a 2nd batch and they had increased the diameter (don't you just love Chinese quality control!!) so I used them under the cabinets where a glass lens wasn't needed. Also, I had to switch supply wires on a few of the sockets as Beaver wasn't consistent on the wiring polarity.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
I was wondering about the polarity issue, hope I don't have to overhaul a bunch of lights. I didn't realize there were that many in my coach until I counted all of them today. I would have guessed about half this many. 36 total.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »
Lee,
Your coach was wired by Monaco. Mine by SMC so it "may " be less of a problem with yours.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
Steve,,when all those little buggers show up we will find out. The only thing I have found not wired properly so far was the main battery cable to the starter on the generator. To small and much too long, replace that last year.