Author Topic: Seal replacement for slideouts  (Read 28187 times)

Tic Wilson

Seal replacement for slideouts
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:46 PM »
05 Monterey
We are full-time and we feel it is time to replace the slide-out rubber seals.  Looking for recommendations/suggestions on where best to have it done, and estimate on the downtime.  Thanks!

Gerald Farris

Re: Seal replacement for slideouts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »
Tic,
My opinion on slide out seals is that you replace them only when needed. If you have no leaks at the slide seals now, you are better off leaving them alone. The old advise "don't fix it if it isn't broken" applies here very well. There is a good chance that replacing the seals may cause a leak that you do not already have, so I would save the money and apply it to repairing what needs to be fixed.

Gerald

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »
The bedroom seal on my 03 is shot on the rear bottom corner.  The rubber has torn right at the corner far enough back that water running down now runs inside when the slide is open. No leak when closed. I have talked to Elite RV in Harrisburg, OR and I will get the seal replaced next July on my way back from the Oregon Coast. They did a temporary fix on it last year that started leaking again. They told me that since mine is a glue on seal, they would have to clean all the old glue off, glue the new seal on and they would like to run a sprinkler on the roof over night to make sure it does not leak. The actual job would take about 5 hours. Cost should be in the $700 range.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
I had all of the seals replaced on my '04 Beaver Monterey 4 slides in December of 2013 by Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL.  The labor cost was $1,860. and the job took several days.  We do have occasional leaking on one of the bedroom slides and it appears that one of the side seals was improperly installed.  I have just ordered a replacement for that seal at $5.61 per ft plus shipping.  I am going to replace that seal myself.

Tic Wilson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the input gentlemen!  I can see daylight at the floor of one slide-out, feel a draft from under the couch, and when we have a driving rain, the bedroom carpet gets wet in one corner.  Visual check of the seals from the outside show them to be weathered and showing wear at the edges.  We are headed toward Oregon later this year, and I will continue to seek guidance on this. 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »
Tic,
It sounds like the slide seals on the bedroom slide that is leaking needs service to repair the leak, and that usually, but not always requires seal replacement and slide alignment. The draft under the sofa probably only needs the wiper under the slide replaced, and not resealing the entire slide if you have no leaks.

It is a common occurrence for a shop to replace a slide seal, and create a leak where there was not one before. Therefore, I am not in favor of the idea of replacing slide seals as a preventive maintenance item. If they leak, replace them if needed, but if they are serving you well and doing what they are designed to, save the money and leave them alone.

The material that slide seal are made of is the same type material that rubber roofs are made of on 5th wheels and many entry level class A motorhomes. This material has a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years or more with it constantly exposed to the sun. Therefore, your slide seals that are protected from the elements most of the time should last at least as long even with their flexing as the slides are put in and out.

Gerald     

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Tic I had a similar problem with my 2005 Monterey where the overlap seals had a hole I could stick a Phillips screw driver through. I actually fixed it myself. I went to B Young RV in Milwaukie, Oregon service center and asked for sealant for rubber seals. They gave me a tub and then I found a rubber patch (something I used to put around new windows I installed previously) and glued it on. It STOPPED the leak and since the rubber patch fell off, but the flap has sealed and no more leaks! This will work.....if need be email me if you cannot find the sealant. kcsnellgrove@gmail.com and I will be more than happy to find the name for you.

KC Snellgrove
2005 Monterey "OLIVIA-JEAN".

Frank Towle

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
All great advice.

Don't have any leaks on bedroom slide or top/sides of galley/sofa slide.  However, the bottom 'wiper' as you called it has become very tattered and could see daylight at both ends under sofa and base cabinets.  Of course this was during the New England Thanksgiving deep freeze, had sold house and just purchased coach for full-time living.  Ran slide out, taped up gap with several runs of Gorilla tape, then of course 8" of snow dropped on slide roof.

Have since purchased 3.5" tall foam wiper with double sided tape to replace same.

Seeking advise on best way to install. 

Current plan to simply trim old off at top of flashing, clean flashing mounting surface w/alcohol (not going to try to remove it), crawl in front of LP tank & generator to install new continuous seal.  A little stumped on how to reach around/above the storage compartment attached to slideout - maybe broomstick. 

Has anyone else performed this slightly tricky job? and what have I missed?

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
Frank,

Not sure of what seal arrangement that you will end up with but many of the sticky coated foam seals are not very sun resistant and tend to tear. You know better than I after checking it out if this arrangement will work well for you. I would typically go after the original seal and replace it but that is not always being proactive looking for better options.

Be careful when working between the slide and the coach. As a precaution turn off the battery switch that powers the slide and the 120V AC supply that runs the inverter charger so that there is no chance that the slide could be powered while you are between the coach framing and the slide.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Frank,
The normal solution for replacing a torn wiper seal for the living room slide on SMC era coaches (1997 through 2002) is to drill out the pop rivets, remove the old wiper seal and metal retainer, and install a new seal with new pop rivets using the original retainer. It is not easy, but it is not to difficult if you are not too overweight.

Gerald   

Frank Towle

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Gerald, 

Haven't met you yet but somehow you've found a full height pic of me.  You'd have to call me chunky, nurse records as over-weight.  ha, ha.  Might have to call medics to extricate!!!

Could see the 30-odd pop rivets and have had experience drilling out and replacing - not fun, as you say, but doable.  Your recommendation is, of course, the proper way. 

What happens to back side of pop rivet?  Is it reachable when entire strip is removed? 

Am told new generation of 3M trim tapes hold better than previous generation, guess we're lazy enough to try the stickem-up route first and if that fails, will double/triple the work to remove the sticky and go the pop rivet route. 

Trusting the moderate temps in FL will help the bonding process.  Will keep you all posted.