Author Topic: Hydrohot failure  (Read 2746 times)

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

Hydrohot failure
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:47 AM »
For what it's worth I had a failure with our hydro hot system wherein after turning on the diesel fuel switch the switch lit up for about 20 - 30 sec. flickered a bit then went out and of course no heat. 

I read through the troubleshooting service manual and found a reference to that condition which said it was caused by a blown motor fuse.  Try as I might I could not find that fuse.  Almost ready to give up and call a service center I noticed that the expansion tank was empty.  I found that the fluid level in the unit was also when low when I removed the cap. 

I pumped "boiler" antifreeze in the hydro hot till it came up to the neck and replaced the cap and filled the expansion tank up to the cold level line.  I again turned the system on and it fired up normally and ran perfectly.  As required the fluid rose to the hot level after the unit ran for about an hour and shut down. 

At no time did any alarm for low fluid level light.  I must admit I didn't check that expansion tank closely till this problem occurred . I've owned this rig about 3 years and had the unit serviced twice and at no time did the work orders make any comment regarding the fluid level. 

My lesson learned !
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:23:14 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »