Author Topic: Hydro hot Elec. Element  (Read 4903 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Hydro hot Elec. Element
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
Will the electric element in the HH keep the HH from freezing in slightly freezing weather for short periods of time?  Less than 4 hours.  Just want to make sure that the HH doesn't freeze. Thanks as always.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:21:14 PM by Jerry Emert »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

Re: Hydro hot Elec. Element
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
My experience is that the electric element can keep the motorhome about 20 degrees above the outside temperature.  In other words, if it is 25 degrees, your motorhome can be 45 degrees inside if you have the thermostats at 45 or higher.  The "basement" will be kept warm enough too.

My concern is always that this can be a "single point of failure" problem.  It all depends on one element and that the electricity does not fail.   For that reason, I pump in the pink stuff as a back up.

Recently I've started putting the pink stuff in just the HydroHot and leave the electric element on.  I can do it in 10 minutes and it only takes a gallon.  If it dips below freezing and the power goes out or the elements fails, I may have some minor repairs buy I won't be buying a new $8000 HydroHot. 

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
Jerry, that's what I do every year. Just turn the electric element on and not use the pink stuff. My moho is right here at home with me so I am able to check it all the time so I don't have to worry. It has been down to 15 degrees here with no problems. But, you do have to check. Two weeks ago I had to replace the high voltage limit switch. Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »
Jerry,
Bill is right about the Aqua Hot not freezing if the electric is on, and there is no failure in the system or power supply. However, at the temperatures you are talking about in Florida, there is a very low chance for freeze damage anyway, but it exist. So you have to make the call as to whether or not pumping in a gallon or so of "pink stuff" is worth the it for the added insurance against a failure.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
The Wal-Mart Super Store had pink stuff in two places.  One was "brand name" for $5 and in a featured location.  The other was in the back with RV stuff and was $3.47. 

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
The Wal-Mart Super Store had pink stuff in two places.  One was "brand name" for $5 and in a featured location.  The other was in the back with RV stuff and was $3.47.

Thanks Bill. I took your very sage advice and went to Walmart. Since it takes me 5 gals to winterize completely, i saved enough $$ to buy a growler of the finest beer in town!! Of course I used my Deschutes growler for the fill-up!

Dan

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
Dan! You Didn't, Did You?  and without friends! How Could you?

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15