Author Topic: Allison Transmission Shift Points FYI  (Read 7958 times)

Randy Connell

• BAC Member
Allison Transmission Shift Points FYI
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »
Had a problem that motorhome would not shift into 6th gear until 63 mph.  Did same thing whether Mode button active/not active (no difference). Found out from an Allison Trans Service Tech, that it was not uncommon for Beaver/Monaco to have never programmed Mode button option.  After taking our motorhome to an Allison Trans Dealer - scanned and turns out no secondary program for Mode button ever done.  Christmas tree light . Had Allison write and install a new program for the Mode button.  Now with Mode ON, transmission shifts into 6th gear at 57mph.  Hopefully will save on diesel fuel !!
Cost $150.00 
Had done Detroit Diesel, Ocala Florida (Steve - Tech)

Randy
Randy and Lonna Connell
2007 Beaver Contessa
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
2014 Cocker Spaniel in tow "ruff ruff"
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Dan Murphy

Re: Allison Transmission Shift Points FYI
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
Randy
I have the same issue with my Contessa. I actually need to get to 64mph before it goes to 6th, a real PITA if I am driving secondary roads which we like to do.
I have an appointment at Ringpower Cat in Ocala on Mon 12/29. I was going to ask them if they could look at this and I am expecting them to say I need to take  it to an Allison shop.Maybe they have a Allison qualified tech who can call Steve!
Thanks for the heads up on this issue!

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
I am glad you got yours done Randy.  I had my 2008 Contessa reprogrammed at Pacific Power (Allison dealer) in 2009 and I think it improved mileage.  I had to go to the mode button to make the lower shift speed work.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:49:59 AM »
I had mine done in Pasco, Wa, shift point was fine on the Thunder goes into 6th around 57 mph. Main thing was to take out the down shift when the engine brake comes on, now it doesn't shift down when I back off the throttle.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:49:27 PM »
Any one have re-programming done in Texas?

I see on the Alison web site there are quite a number of locations for service. I don't want to venture into the major cities, but if a dealer in a peripheral city is capable and good, I'd like to check it out. I see there is an Alison center in McKinney TX. I may go there if I decide to get MCD shades.

Thanks

Jeff

Keith Duner

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
A suggestion.  If you have a choice, I would prioritize Allison distributors over dealers with regard to TCM Recalibration.  Often (but not always) a distributor will simply have more experience in the Recalibration activity.  Let me put on my Captain Obvious hat here... make sure the Allison service outlet is in fact a TCM Recalibration capable outlet (not all are).  Setting the search filters correctly on the Allison web site should help.  Communicating your needs prior to visiting the service outlet will also go a long way to insure a successful outcome, since some times a little research is required to come up with the correct calibration.  Last I checked (about 5 years ago) Allison had over 40000 (that's 40 thousand) unique calibrations available to support commercial products.  One last thought, some times the expertise associated with TCM Recalibration is centered in a specific individual at the service outlet, so making sure he/she is on duty when you arrive is a good thing.   
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:54:30 AM »
I too had my 2007 Contessa Allison reprogrammed for the same reason. However, I have an unexpected side effect on mine. It shifts well enough at 57 mph in 'mode'. When not in 'mode' my up shifts into 4th and 5th are too soon and the engine rpm's drop to around 1200. Except when Im running almost WOT. Then it works just fine.

Has anyone else who reprogrammed had this experience? I have Randy's numbers and will be contacting Allison in Phoenix. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006