Author Topic: Failing Silverleaf Migration To VMSpc  (Read 10624 times)

Edward Buker

Failing Silverleaf Migration To VMSpc
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
I am not the first one to do this migration from the permanent dash mounted Silverleaf unit to a PC based system. Tim Bentley had some photos of his installation. The Siverleaf unit installed in my 2002 Marquis is no longer available, parts at Silverleaf Electronics for my unit was down to just one circuit board, and no displays were available for repair. My screen was getting unreadable due to banding, so the VMSpc was the only option. Looks like others may be forced to deal with this problem in time, so this is one approach in dealing with the  empty dash space and at the same time improve the driver options as to what is conveniently in view. Photos of the build and final result are attached.

BTW Silverleaf has been outstanding in their help and support with my issue, cannot say enough good things about their customer service. The software drivers were an issue with my tablet and Windows 7. Silverleaf tech support tamed the beast while on the phone with me for over an hour.

Install:

Removing the old unit involves disconnecting a piece of dash vent ductwork, easily unclipped, removing the dash heater control unit, easy just two nuts. Removing the Silverleaf unit, moderate difficulty given the reach, 4 allen heads, two per side, and one plugged cable needed to be removed which will later connect directly to the VMSpc.

I already had added a tablet PC and mount for navigation so I decided to migrate some of the navigation to a new Garmin 7 inch, 760RV unit which I found fits the existing Silverleaf space almost perfectly. What was needed was a mount for the new Garmin as well as a mount for the black box VMSpc unit. My goal was to have a way to reach the VMSpc unit from the front of the dash and to have adjustment of the mounting depth and position of the Garmin from the front side of the dash.

I used a cabinet grade plywood and made a "black box" using the same frontal size as the old Silverleaf. The "black box" was built with a movable plate that fits inside the box that acts as the back of the box. On the back of the movable plate is a shelf for the VMSpc unit.

A series of holes were drilled so the back plate, that is mounted within the box, is adjustable depth wise. The supplied Garmin mount is screwed to the back plate. The reason to make the back plate adjustable, depth wise, is so that the spacing of the Garmin from the dash can be set to whatever works best. Things like the on off button are on the back of the Garmin and need to be accessible along with the mount release button. I drilled the suction cup mount that comes with the Garmin unit and mounted it with screws onto the backing plate. I used some stick on felt for the front of the box edges to be sure that the unit would not produce any dash squeaks with movement. I used the same screw mounting holes as the old Silverleaf used that were in a two inch wide steel band mounted to the back of the dash. In the end there were no dash modifications involved and if the VMSpc needs to be changed out it can be done from the front side of the dash.

If I had to do this project over the only change I would make would be to use some blind T mounting nuts on the black box and use machine screws for holding the unit in place in the dash mount. The Silverleaf unit has some mounting nuts epoxied to the side of their unit. It was difficult, given the reach and position of the mount, to use wood screws given they were nearly impossible to start by hand......much cursing was involved. When this project is done the dash changes look acceptable as a factory install.

With my tablet and the the VMSpc unit I can use either half screen and run Delorme Street Atlas with my full trip planned on the other half. I can also run the VMSpc full screen if I prefer. With the Garmin I run point to point with a days travel planned.

I also tied the audio out with cables from the Garmin and the tablet PC to the AUX input of the dash radio unit using audio cables and Y adapters. One side of the stereo input comes from the tablet and one side from the Garmin. I use the balance control on the dash radio/camera unit to balance the audio volume between the two. This handling of audio is loud and clear from both units while the camera display is on the screen.

Hope the photos are self explanatory but if you have questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:30:12 PM by Edward Buker »
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Failing Silverleaf Migration To VMSpc
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 03:45:51 AM »
You have more gadgets than an airplane Ed! How do you ever get enough time to look at all that stuff while driving?

I can't even change my radio station when going down the road.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »
Ed,
Clean, good looking installation. Makes me wonder if there is a way to replace the Silverleaf with a tablet that would fit in the same in-dash location???.
Thanks for the info. Invaluable for future use.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I do not see why a smaller tablet cannot be mounted in the opening. The nice thing about the Silverleaf VMSpc approach is that the software allows you to build, size each window, and arrange the screen as you wish. If it was important to downsize the screen dimensions to fit the Silverleaf dash opening then you could simply fit the most important and useful information on the screen that you need. The only issue is that you need a usb port to couple the VMSpc to the tablet. Not all small tablets have USB ports.

There are newer Silverleaf products emerging that use Bluetooth and rumors about an Ipad software and hardware interface that is being worked on. Where there is a will there usually is a way. This all being said I do like the big color screen, it is very easy to read.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »
Lamonte,

If I did not have a Garmin I would probably never make it home again :-) I do love my gadgets and a good project. I think I am at the end though, no more dash area....

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
You could start going overhead... like they do in airliners.   lol
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Thanks Ed.  Our coaches being so similar this will help alot when our Silverleaf goes out!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
These original units were quite reliable, so hopefully you will not have to deal with this. It is nice to have at least some options available if you do have problems.

I have come to rely on the Silverleaf information and driving with just the analog gauges would be disconcerting at this point. Have a Merry Christmas Keith.

Later Ed

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
Hi Ed,

Thanks for all your detailed information about the change over it really helps understanding the procedure and options we have.

Here is some further information I discovered during my talks with Art regarding my installation.

This is for those of us who have the Silverleaf  VMS 200 ELâ„¢ installed in our coach.  The 200 is installed in my Beaver Pat 2000. But, I did not ask about the newer models so you might check the connector cable coming out the rear of your Silverleaf.

In talking to Art (Tech at Silverleaf) as to the setup and installation for VMSpc, during that conversation I found out that the connector for the J1B and the VMS 200 are the same (the J1B is the data communication link module in part # JS501 kit, the J1B plugs into the coach diagnostics port and has a USB output which sends information to your tablet or PC). 

Since this connector is the same as the one that the VMS 200 plugs into now, (this connector is behind the VMS 200) you do not need the data cable. 

Also if you have an extra USB Printer cable off your old printer, (with the little square plug at one end and std USB connector at the other end) you do not need the USB cable.  You can buy one for under $10.00 if don't have one. 

So you do not need to buy the complete kit JS501, which includes with the J1B, power supply, data connector link cable and a USB cable,

Just purchase the J1B, this is the Data Link Module by itself, (and it includes a power supply).

The price for the J1B is $250.00.  Over $125.00 less.

I hope this information helps, if you call Silverleaf ask for Art, he designed the unit and program, he can answer all your questions.  And he told me that since they are still developing the product he really wants to hear from users, so that goes with what Ed said about other tablet options in the works.

By the way Ed when can I bring my Beaver by so you can complete the upgrade?

Bill

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »
Bill, It is a long haul from my place to yours. I am guessing that you will not show up in my driveway and one Silverleaf install is enough for this year :-).  I have the extra cable lying around and I think I did spend about $50 more then you mentioned.

Art was really great to work with, like I say, cannot say enough good things about Silverleaf in a world where customer support usually comes from someone you cannot even understand, given the broken English and accents.

Love to see more projects from other Beaver owners and how they tackle obstacles. I have been considering a TV upgrade for my swing down TV arrangement. It would seem with a little care I could get a 48 inch Samsung in there if I played my cards right....may talk myself into it yet.

Later Ed

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:59 AM »
Hi Ed,

No problem I could be there in your driveway before the ice melts in the glass!

Your so right Silverleaf has restored my faith in customer service. 

Thanks again for continuing experimentation and inventing ways to improve our Beavers.

Merry Christmas!

Bill
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California