Author Topic: Winter travel  (Read 6983 times)

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

Winter travel
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
I am considering traveling from NE Ohio to Florida in mid January and wonder if I can get away with putting water in the fresh tank.  The tank is next to the hydro hot and not in the heated bay with the black and grey tanks. I know the hydro hot throws of some heat but I doubt that would help much below 30 deg.  My first thought is to put about 5 gal. of antifreeze and 5 gal. of water in the fresh tank for use with the toilet.  Does anyone who has traveled in the winter have any better ideas or thoughts?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Winter travel
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
Hi Harold, I am not positive with your rig but the water tanks are normally in the heated cargo bay. I don't think you would need to do anything special if you are heating the inside of the coach.
Travel safe, and I hope you have a nice Christmas
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »
Harold, all the bays should be heated via the Hydronic heat to my knowlege.  Perhaps someone more familiar with your model could chime in but I believe Jerry has it right.
There has been an instance or two where an owner put automotive antifreeze in the fresh water.  In case you were not aware, only pink antifreeze goes in fresh water system.
Have a safe and merry Christmas!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »
Harold, we have a 07 Contessa and frequently leave SW Michigan for warmer climes is Jan. Your plan should work well. We usually leave dry, carry a couple of gallons of water to flush the toilet and get as far south as possible as quickly as possible before we pump water through the system.  The hydro-hot will keep things pretty warm including the passengers while traveling and when parked if you use the diesel burner.
07 Contessa
C9;400HP

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:22:16 AM »
I am considering traveling from NE Ohio to Florida in mid January and wonder if I can get away with putting water in the fresh tank.  The tank is next to the hydro hot and not in the heated bay with the black and grey tanks. I know the hydro hot throws of some heat but I doubt that would help much below 30 deg.  My first thought is to put about 5 gal. of antifreeze and 5 gal. of water in the fresh tank for use with the toilet.  Does anyone who has traveled in the winter have any better ideas or thoughts?
Harold,

We got stuck in a blizzard at around 15 below with strong winds for three days straight.  The fresh and waste tanks were not an issue.  My theory is that there is little insulation in the floor and living area heat keeps the basement well above freezing if you keep the heat on.   

If the HydroHot keeps you warm, everything else will be fine.  Beavers are very good at traveling in cold weather.

If you've not traveled in cold weather, remember that the Cat or Cummins is plumbed into the HydroHot system.  Set the house thermostats to "Furnace" and about 70 degrees.  Engine heat will keep it toasty front to back while you drive. 

I have no qualms about travel in cold weather.  My only worry is about slide outs and snow or ice preventing retraction.  Call or email if you have questions.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 05:24:13 AM »
Harold, here is a "thinking out of the box" way to easily get to Florida, assuming you are traveling there within a few days as opposed to a month to get there.

1. Before you leave home, add a couple of gallons of water to each of your holding tanks. Then, add some RV Antifreeze to those tanks. (This assumes they are in a "unheated bay" but I find that unlikely)

2. Shut off your fresh water pump (I assume you have it winterized since you are in Ohio already).

3. Buy about 6 gallons of drinking water in one gallon jugs. Put one in the bathroom and one by the kitchen sink. Sit on the floor during transit.

4. Use that until you get to where it warms up.

This may sound funny but just last week one hour after I left my home in Nebraska, my water pump ceased running. I decided on this approach to keep moving. I bought the water at a local Wal-Mart as I went buy. I used those jugs of water for everything without any problems. If you need more water, it is easy to get.  It is still pretty cold where I am at and I am still using that process until I replace the pump in a couple of days.

Just pretend that you are camping in "one heck of a nice tent" as you travel and enjoy the cold.

Larry Fritz
Nebraska to Arizona adventure in progress
Larry Fritz

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »
We've been in plenty of cold environs, from on-the-road at night blizzards to 2 weeks parked in Idaho snow, and had no issues with keeping every area warm.  The bay sensor kicks in the bay heat exchanger down there somewhere in the neighborhood of 40+, and the water tank is next to the HydroHot.  I don't add antifreeze unless the coach is in storage mode.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:03:31 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 06:31:31 AM »
Harold,
As long as you are heating the coach with your Aqua Hot, the fresh water tank will not freeze. There is no need to leave RV antifreeze in your water tank as long as the Aqua Hot is functioning normally and you are using it to heat the coach.

Gerald