Author Topic: Valves -- outside dually  (Read 9821 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Valves -- outside dually
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:07:22 AM »
The rear duallys on our 99 Contessa have me a bit befuddled.  The valve stem for the inside tire extends out through the outside wheel for easy access.  The valve stem for the outside tire points inward and extends through the wheel.  I've purchased the TST 507 TPMS and it was a bit of a PITA to install them on the outside tires.  I can only imagine how old fast it is going to get every time I have to take them off to adjust tire pressure.

I've spoken with a couple of tire guys about the prospect for redirecting the valve stems with no luck.  Has anyone successfully dealt with this problem?

Thanks,

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Valves -- outside dually
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
Larry
We have much the same problem and a PO chose the "crossfire" system perhaps for this reason.  The Crossfire uses two hoses to tie the inner and outer valve stems together along with an on wheel monitor.  Just one new valve aires up both tires.  This cannot be read on a monitor inside the coach but can be seen at a glance on the wheel.  I am told that these are very popular with truckers!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:40:58 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
My coach's outside duel valve stems are about 4-5 inches long.  They are metal and are bent to about 45 degrees just past where they emerge from the rim.  They have a tightening nut so that they can be fixed into position on the rim.  I have loosened the nut and turned the stems so that I could get a pressure tool on them, then retightened the nut with the stem facing the more accessible direction.  And this can be done with the tire under full pressure.

My guess is to redirect a stem that is misdirected away from the outside and through a hole in the rim would require a dismount and remount because the stem would likely need to be removed to be redirected.  After all this work and expense, new short, metal stems might be a good idea too.

I have the Pressure Pro TPMS.  The sensors with this system do not allow access to change the batteries.  In fact, I just ordered and received 12 new sensors because the battery levels in the sensors were low.  The cost was $420 (not including shipping) for 12 new sensors after returning 12 old sensors.  If I could have changed out the old batteries, then I suspect the cost would have been $400 less!  I wonder if the TST sensors with accessible batteries would work on my Pressure Pro unit...??
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
When I replaced my tires I had the dealer change my outer valve stems. They are about 2in. long and face out.
Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
Larry,
The direction that your valves are pointed is standard in the trucking industry. This is done to allow the wheels to be used on either the inner or outer location. However, this is rarely an option in the RV industry since your inner wheels are steel and the wheels are usually only polished on only one side.

Your problem can be corrected by loosening the nut at the base of the vale stem just enough to allow you to rotate it 90 degrees and then retighten the nut. You should always check for leaks at the base of the valve after this procedure, but it is a very rare occurrence for a leak to be created by this procedure. However, if you have a leak after the nut is retorqued, the tire will have to be dismounted to replace the rubber seal at the base of the valve, but I have done this many times, and it has never been a problem.

Gerald     

Matthew Harger

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »
Keith -
I've been considering the Crossfire system too due to it being a royal pain in the butt to air up the rears.  Due to poor placement of valve stems it seems I take more out than put in when I try to add or check air pressures.

Is there any reason why a TPMS wouldn't work with the crossfire ??  Wouldn't it just tell you the pressure of both tires instead of individual tires?  I have a system but have yet to install it yet.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
Matt, I dont see why not although the guage that reflects the pressure is pretty good already. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Per Larry's text, "The valve stem for the outside tire points inward and extends through the wheel."  I suspect the outside duel will require a dismount, then remount after repositioning the valve stem.  I don't think simply loosening the nut and turning the valve stem to point outside can work.  Of course, that depends upon how far the valve stem "extends through the wheel."
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
David,
I have never seen an original valve stem that extended too far through the wheel to prevent rotating unless it had an extension, and in that case, you just remove the extension to rotate the valve stem.

Gerald

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
Thanks so much, friends.  The coach is in indoor winter storage but the first stop en route home will be the tire shop to have the rear tires evaluated and the valve stems turned in a more accessible direction.

Larry

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
Larry...I had the same problem as the valve stem was in an awkward position and the only way I could put air into the outside dual was to use the air chuck that had a reverse ending like the air pressure gauge has.  I took the coach to my tire guy and he asked if I would like a short 1 inch high valve put in perpendicular to the rim.  I looked at it and it meets and cures the problem of putting air into the outside dual.  The valve sticks straight up and is only 1 inch high.  It works great.  Hope this helps.
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »
Larry...I know that no one recommends the extension hoses, including me, but both my old motorhome and my current motorhome came with them installed by the previous owners.  I have been running them with the TST 510 monitors for over 6 years with no problems.  The outer dual has the extension run inside the wheel hole and comes out on the next hole and is fastened to the center hub cover.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  We brought the coach out of storage the other day and the first stop was the local truck tire center where they rotated the valve stems for me and filled the tires to the correct pressure.  This will make life much easier and well worth the $20 investment.

Larry

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
I've got the crossfire air valve on mine...air both rears the same time...easy peasy!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl