Author Topic: Block Heater  (Read 8220 times)

Tom Fisher

Block Heater
« on: December 25, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone. Another crazy question. I read in my Owners Manual that my 2005 Beaver Monterey has a Block Heater. I am still in colorado and another cold snap is about to happen. I have not been able to find the power cord to the block heater. I do have a Block Heat switch on the dash, so I am assuming it has one. It states that it is better to hook the block heater cord to outside power and not run off house power.
Thanks

Bill Sprague

Re: Block Heater
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
I'm not at the motorhome now, but our 04 Montery has a standard outdoor style utility box in the engine compartment where the block heater plugs it.  That outlet is controlled by a relay somewhere by the switch on the dash. 

When you turn on the dash switch you can see the amp draw go up by about 8 amps on the Aladdin.  If you wait long enough you can see the temperature go up in the Aladdin as well.   My dash temperature gauge isn't very good but I suspect I could see something on it when key is turned on.

I have no idea why the book would say to operate it from a separate cord.  I've never done it that way.  I use the block heater a lot more often for a Onan load when it's being exercised than I do to keep the motor warm.  FWIW, I've never had trouble starting it in weather down to about 20 degrees. 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
Tom,
If your coach has the preheat option for the Aqua/ Hydra Hot system, you will not have a block heater. Are you sure that the preheat switch that you mentioned is not for the Aqua/Hydra Hot system? Otherwise, the block heater should be wired into the coach if there is a switch for it, and the cord will be near the engine bay 120 volt plug.

The manuals that come with these coaches are very general (one size fits all), and rarely cover all of the options that your coach could be equipped with. So you need to do some investigating, or have a detailed conversation with another Beaver owner at your next rally. Otherwise, call me (713-254-4156) sometime and we can discuss your coach as much as we can without me being there. 

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:49:12 PM by Gerald Farris »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »
Gerald-
Our '06 Monterey has the same switch and the notations about using it in the manual.  My wiring diagrams book does show the Block Heater outlet for my model coach, and there is a 15 amp breaker for it on the 50 amp panel.  Admittedly, I don't recall seeing the outlet in the engine compartment and never really looked for it, but it always seemed unecessary to bother with it given how easy the HydroHot's engine preheat feature is to use.  I got the impression it was more for owners that parked in super-cold conditions, and/or if the hydronics system have failed and the engine needs starting.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
Joel,
Not all Monterey coaches came with the engine preheat option for the Hydro Hot system, and therefore they must depend on a block heater in severe cold.

Gerald

Tom Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
Thank you, I will keep looking. My coach does have a hydro hot and I use the engine preheat normally. I have been having a little trouble with it lately and have an appointment to get checked on 31st. It is snowing right now and the temps are dropping. Would like to use block heater now if I can find where to plug in. The Block heat rocker switch is on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I don't use it for hydro engine preheat, have never used it. Now I need it, and I'm running into a wall. I do wish the manuals were a lot clearer on things. The location might be stated in the manual, I just haven't found it yet.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:02:17 AM »
Tom,

Forecasts for Colorado Springs looks like the lows will hover around 0.  If you have anything close to the normal amount of antifreeze in the engine, nothing will go wrong.  It is OK to let the engine get cold.

Unless you are planning to drive somewhere, I don't think you need to heat the engine with the block heater or the Hydro-Hot. 

John Sinnar

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
We had a 2005 Monterey that we lived in while building our house in Yakima.  Always kept the block heater on during the Winter months to help keep the bedroom warm.  It also helps to put cardboard or plastic over the rear hatch louvers to help keep the heat in.

Brad Burgess

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
On my 06 Monterey the outlet for the block heater and the cord from the block heater were under the bed.

Brad Burgess