Author Topic: How to remove and replace sealant along exterior seams of a coach  (Read 10193 times)

KC Snellgrove

GOOD DAY MY FELLOW BEAVER LOVERS! Yes, it is I KC Snellgrove again requesting the accumulative knowledge of what a 1000 + years of wisdom, knowledge and skill from all of you!

My 2005 Monterey outside seams sealant is yellow that I assume is due to the age. I want to know how to gently remove this very thin layer of sealant so that I can replace with new sealant. How can I remove and then clean these seams? What type / brand name of cleaner should I use? What type / brand name of sealant should I use?  After-which I want to then apply new sealant. What type of sealant should I use?

Thank you in advance for the kindly considered reccommendations and lesson!
KC Snellgrove
2005 Monterey "Olivia-Jean" :D

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: How to remove and replace sealant along exterior seams of a coach
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
KC,
Sometimes a plastic scraper/putty knife will work in getting the old sealant to peel and not mar the finish. Once it starts, you may be able to continue w/o using the knife. Others may have better solutions though. Lexel is probably the best sealant replacement. It's available at Ace, Lowes, etc. Be sure to mask off the areas around the seams though before applying.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
If you have not seen this thread, then take a look.  I suggest you take 10 minutes to read it starting from the initial post.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2520.msg18810.html#msg18810
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Frank Towle

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:47:24 AM »
KC, I too have unsightly / dirty looking seam sealant on a 12 year old Thunder.  Asked dealers tech about it and he strongly recommended using Geocel ProFlexRV Clear.  Says it looks like glass. 

Have not tried it yet - another item on todo list for this winter in FL.   

Looking for remover for old silicone sealant saw this http://www.marineformula.com/ in the link posted by Tim @ http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,33.msg128.html#msg128.  Have ordered some of this product and again will post results as progress is made....

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
Frank and/or other BEAVER owners how did the sealant remover MAINE FORMULA work? I am about ready to start this task, but do not want to harm the clear coat or paint on my rig. Please let me know and thank you again for all your assistance!

KC Snellgrove
2005 Monterey Olivia Jean

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:51:10 AM »
   KC. The product I use is called Acrysol to loosen amd dissolve silecone and loosen geocel. You can't buy this stuff except from a dealer so call around to find it. It is gentle and will not hurt clear coat or paint, You definately need to find a nylon or plastic scraper. Geocel is the best sealer and is what all luxury coach manufacturers use.
Make sure you mask off and take the time to practice putting the sealer down. A little acrysol on your finger tip works well to smooth it out. Have fun. Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:26 AM »
   KC. The product I use is called Acrysol to loosen amd dissolve silecone and loosen geocel. You can't buy this stuff except from a dealer so call around to find it. It is gentle and will not hurt clear coat or paint, You definately need to find a nylon or plastic scraper. Geocel is the best sealer and is what all luxury coach manufacturers use.
Make sure you mask off and take the time to practice putting the sealer down. A little acrysol on your finger tip works well to smooth it out. Have fun. Regards Fred
Hi Fred, there is some Acrysol on Amazon.  Is this the right stuff or is it something different?  I too am looking to tackle this project.  http://www.amazon.com/INSTALLBAY-P20005-Spray-Products-ACRYSOL/dp/B00FMS48XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427677168&sr=8-1&keywords=acrysol
Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:53:00 AM »
I wonder how hard it would be to build an inside corner scraper out of plexiglass or something similar to run down the edge of windows to get the silicone out or the silicone out of the top of the moulding above the basement doors. I have one of my basement doors leaking and soaking the indoor outdoor carpet inside the bay. I know it is coming from the door area because I took the bins out last summer and sealed all corners with tin tape when I replaced the bottom slide seal. The leak starts at the door and soaks the whole bottom while the sides and top of the bin is dry. One of my windows in the bedroom is leaking how hard is it to pull a sliding window out and reseal it? I know it is coming from the seal because after the wall drys out and leaks again it wicks up above the window not down from the awning or sidewall to roof joint.  I had another leak develop last week that soaked the floor under the bedroom closet under the drawers. The closet is backed up to the shower.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
      Jerry and Gary, Hopefully I can be of assistance. Yes that is the Acrysol I am talking about. It is the only product that I have found that will dissolve RTV silecone but not hurt the surrounding surfaces. You still have to exercise some caution so start in an area you can learn from and get a feel for it. Make sure you mask off areas with quality masking tape and plastic. You will see the feathered edge of the silecone start to wrinkle in about a minute after brushing on the acrysol. I use a nylon windshield installation tool with a 30 degree angle on the end but you can get creative and fabricate something......maybe an old kitchen spatula or something.
     Gary, sometimes dirt and debris accumulate down in the slider track and plug the weep holes in the frame of the window. If that is not the issue, removing the window is a 2 man job. Carefully run a razor knife edge around the top and sides where the sealant is at the window frame. Install masking tape as a guide so reinstallation will get back in the same location. After removing the valance and screws, start pushing at a corner and have the other person ready on the outside. Purchase weatherstripping from your local dealer 3/8" by 1/4" thick with 3 ribs or something similar from Ace hardware.... soft so it will compress and seal. Reseal the outer edges with clear rtv to match the original application. Have fun and be patient, Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »
Fred,

Isn't 3M Prep-Sol 70 about the same product as Acrysol? I've seen body shops use this to clean surfaces before sanding.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
     Lee, It probably is real similar, I'm not a body shop guy or painter both both products are used as a degreaser and silecone wax remover. I'm just familar with Acrysol and have been using it since 1988. Another blessing this product does is remove grease or oil from carpet. Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
Fred,

On your recommendation I ordered a qt on Amazon, so I will have it when the need pops up.