Author Topic: Water leak at awning  (Read 15871 times)

Rob Perry

Water leak at awning
« on: April 27, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »

We have water leaking in at the front end of awning on our Marquis, is there no other way to seal other than removing the awning?

Thanks,

Gerald Farris

Re: Water leak at awning
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:28 AM »
It should not be necessary to remove the awning to repair the leak. Clean the old sealant out of the seams as good as possible, and reseal the seam around the awning with good silicone sealant. You may also need to seal the edges on the molding around the opening that the awning fits into to prevent water from going under the molding and entering the wall that way.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »
Gerald
Sorry to disagree.  Having had this problem, I thought the same way as you.  It just didnt work no matter how careful I was.  The only sure fix according to the folks at Coach Masters in Bend was to reseal the inner box which holds the awning unit.
I even pulled out the old silicone sealant which was used in manufacture and resealed from scratch.  Problem is the silicone doesnt seal and is the same as the inner box sealant which caused the problem in the first place.  When the silicone gets warm and then cold it looses any adhesion and water just runs in and around it.
I didnt believe it either but when ours was removed and sealed properly it finaly solved what is a serious problem in Washington rain.  By the way, it always seem to show up first around the hinge side and above the door.  
Hope I havent ofended.
Luck to you Rob
Keith
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:10:09 PM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David Fischer

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
Hi Keith:  I have a 1997 Marquis I purchased new, and have had that problem for years.  Although I spent most of the time in dry New Mexico and the western states my travels east can be a real problem.  I have tryed to find the problem and this year in South Carolina where the wet never seems to end has been real bad.  I was told by Ken that I should remove the sealant to let the water drain if any gets in.  I tried that and it didn't work. Sealing everything hasn't worked either.  Now my question.  In your response, you stated that " when ours was removed and sealed properly".  What was removed?  The awning or all the old sealant?  I need some help as I am going to be out east for about nine more months.  It ain't dry like NM.
David Fischer
760 250 7099
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:08:42 PM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
You may want to try Lexel sealant by Sashco.  Lexel is much superior to silicon.  I sealed around the awning where the silicone failed.  It seems to work so far.  Look at the website for more info.

http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/Lexel.aspx

have used it instead of silicone for about 3 years now.  Be sure to wrap the nozzle with Saran wrap (not Polyethylene wrap) if you have any left in the tube.  That really stops the sealant from setting up for easy reuse later.  You can get it at Ace Hardware and a lot of on line websites.

Larry
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:47:31 PM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
Hi David and Sharon
1997 Marquis huh?  Bet that's a beautiful rig.
Well, we didnt have the option of buying new and so have spent the two years we have had her doing the repairs which were let go by previous owners.  Some were similar to repairs on our old coach.  This was one I thought I could fix and in the process I allowed the damage to get worse as it now lives in the north west instead of Florida or Texas.  
I dont believe in resealing over a problem if it can be helped.  My fix it right, once policy has held up through many years in construction.
I spoke extensively with Coach Masters (541-330-6863, Scott or Paul) and he explained that this is a common problem on Beavers and others.  The awning had to be pulled out and the inner box sealed. There seemed no way around that and believe me I tried.
Coach Masters is in Bend Or. and have supported BAC.  I learned about Beaver Coach Sales from the folks at Coach Masters and so proceeded to visit Ron and the good folks there.  They pretty much confirmed all I had been told at Coach Masters.  Seems either place can do a very good job for you and we have had no further problem even after 15 inches of rain with wind.
ALSO, let me know if youould like further info on the fix or the clean up of the stains on the walls as my wife developed a good process for that.

God bless
Keith and Carol Moffett
moffrobb@yahoo.com
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
Keith,

I'm guessing that there are lots of us that would be interested in hearing the process that Carol developed for cleaning up water stains. I know that we have tried several methods to date and none have really been particularly successful.

Marty Carah

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
Yes!  Please start a new thread with Carol's cleanup method.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
Marty-

Not to upstage him, but Keith posted this March 13th in another thread:

Quote from: Keith Moffett
Our coach had had a roof leak prior to our purchasing it.  The underlayment plywood stained the wall coverings.  The professionals cleaned it unsucessfuly.  My Brilliant wife used a two step process;
Using a spray bottle for each and a hoover carpet cleaner upholstry wand to rinse and dry.
1)  Mist lightly with resolve for carpets and agitate lightly with a soft brush.  Suck out the resolve , rinse, and remove water as much as possible.
2)  Spray moderately with Oxyclean and warm water.  Let sit for a few minutes then dry and rinse and dry again.

The hoover carpet cleaner is a plus but a small area can be done with clean white towels.  
This process removed even the hint of stain leaving a like new condition.

I hope this helps!
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »
Thank You Joel, for that kind introduction.  
Moldy Walls here for "Carol's Coach Concoction"  the cleaning method that "puts the POWER in your hands".  Billy Mays is currently not available.
Here's the new and improved version from the makers of "Carols Coach Concoction", its called "Carols Coach Concoction - 2".

The stains on the cloth walls are a byproduct of the treated plywood underneath drying out and transfering dirt and stain through to the surface of the cloth and padding.  We noticed that the method above (Joels post) cleaned most stains but left the cloth with a dull color.  The very tough stains didnt clean completely and we were worried about too much brushing on a 10 year old cloth.

This improved method brought the original color and brightness back to the cloth and added a luster that I'm not sure was there before.  We compared a large area done this way with an area of wall behind a sofa and this looks better than new.
1)1 qt. spray bottle (adjust to mist) with just warm water for rinsing.
2)1 qt. spray bottle (adjust to mist).  Add combined 4 oz. total of; Resolve carpet cleaner, Clorox color boost, Spray n wash, 2 scoops of oxyclean and top with warm water.  
NOTE, to leave over night loosen cap or it will swell and swirl only (dont shake) until disolved.

Mist with water to dampen.  Mist with cleaner bottle and let set for a couple minutes.  With a soft brush lightly agitate but go a little more on the very dark stains.  Suck dry with a Hoover cleaner upholstry wand.  Rinse and dry again twice.  NOTE, the cleaner works better than that used by the pro's who do this but it is critical to rinse it out very well so go slowly.

Some of the stains on ours were dark walnut in color and we were surprised that anything worked but few areas did require a LIGHT second treatment after it air dried.

We now have light stains again after this winter in Washington because Carols DUMDUM husband forgot to reseal the outer seam on the slide out.  No worries Mate!, we have the fix and now you do too!

If this info. was helpful to you, please feel free to meet us at the Redmond rally and give Carol a hug.  WAIT, WAIT back up guys, ladies only!

Keith (mad dog) Moffett
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
Man.  Ain't that always the way it goes?  Ya buy something and a month later a new improved version comes out!

And adding insult to injury, the inventor has a body guard named Dum Dum Mad Dog Moffett, so you can neither complain to nor hug her.

;D
Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
[size=18][face=Arial][face=Sans-Serif][size=14]Thanks Keith,  I'll take 2 bottles of the "Triple C ll" cleaner, LOL.  The info was just what I needed.  Mike & Diane, Issaquah, WA[/size][/face][/face][/size]

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
Carol's Coach Concoction II:  If anyone is interested in making a copy of this recipe just go to file "print" and make a selection of page 4.  If you don't you'll get all 6 pages of this topic printed out.  Thanks for offering this solution.  
By the way, I'll pretend I am a female and give her a hug anyway.
Mandy

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Thank you Mandy.  You saved 3 trees today.  And thank you to Carol.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Yes, Larry, the secret's out;  Mandy is both a Carol hugger and a Tree hugger.  ;D
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat