Author Topic: Roof Snow Damage  (Read 6944 times)

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
Roof Snow Damage
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
I have a 2000 Patriot Thunder and it now has low spots on the roof after a heavy snow. Any thoughts on a repair?
2000 Patriot

Edward Buker

Re: Roof Snow Damage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
Marty,

Unless there is cracking or damage it is not so abnormal to have some low spots where water puddles a bit. I have several near the air conditioner up front. These roofs and framing are pretty robust, as RVs go, but they are not arched or formed well enough where no low points will exist, at least that has been my experience.

I do not think there are any simple repairs for low points. I would call that a blemish rather than a problem. If you find cracking or damage, that area should be reinforced and repaired with fiberglass. I pay particular attention to any sealant, gasket or otherwise, where I can see that water has puddled. Those areas tend to have more dirt settle on the surface after rainfall and drying so you can see where they are. The defect is if you get leaking and if so that need to be resolved quickly. Good sealant materials and preventative maintenance around mounted items on the roof are your best defense.

Later Ed

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Thanks Ed. I concur, I just would like better water runoff. What do you think about drilling a little hole and filling with the expanding form sealant? 

Marty
2000 Patriot

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
Marty,
I think that there is no chance that the low spots in your roof are a result of snow damage, and that there is no chance that any attempt to raise the low spots in the roof with something like expanding foam will be beneficial.

First, your roof is comprised of the outer fiberglass surface with plywood over a welded aluminum superstructure with foam insulation. The expanding foam will not support the load of someone walking on the roof and will crush with the load. Also, the air conditioners will still be the low spot and raising the roof around them will just made the condition worse.

Gerald     
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:03:17 AM by Gerald Farris »

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:23:33 AM »
I am right inline with Gerald's thinking on this. These coaches have been around awhile and literally all of them have some low spots in the roof and if the lap sealant over roof fixtures like vents and skylights are kept well sealed and good gaskets under the air conditioners there is little else needed. Like I say low spots are just blemishes.

The only other item that may be worthwhile is to paint the gelcoat to preserve it and prevent chalking. I used Rustoleum fiberglass marine topside/deck paint and it has worked out very well. If you have gelcoat in really poor condition that is allowing water to seep into the glass or lots of crazing cracks then an elastometric thicker sealant by companies like Dicor may be of help.

Later Ed

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
Thanks everyone.  8)
2000 Patriot
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Tom Halter

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:19:14 AM »
Styrofoam was used as the roof structure. Spot areas will get a bit softer than others causing low spots. If the roof a/c's collect water they can be shimmed up with plywood to keep water from pooling.

Thanks!

Tom Advantage Rv
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Les Brandt

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »
I recently went through a heavy snow fall period (2.5') that started to melt and ice up at the roof. I decided to shovel off the extra weight and alleviate water pooling or ice damning.

I noticed a few low spots on my roof as well. In particular, about 8" in from the sidewalls running the length of the roof.

I'm not worried as it is a fiberglass roof and is made to shed water. It appears that all held up well with exception of a tiny leak at the drivers side air horn mount.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:16:08 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »