Author Topic: Need Brighter Headlights  (Read 11745 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
Need Brighter Headlights
« on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:05 AM »
We have a 2006 Thunder and as most of you know the headlights are not the greatest for highway driving at night does anyone know what hi intensity lamp will work in the current headlights to get a brighter light?

Seems that I do a lot of night driving so this would be a good fix

Much appreciated

Paul & Maggie Champagne 2006 Thunder F121185
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Need Brighter Headlights
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:14:02 AM »
Paul,
Your coach probably needs the modification to fix dim headlights. it's a very common problem on Beavers due to the way the  headlight voltage is routed.
Go to the Members Only Board and select the post to Coach Link. Follow the web link. The headlight fix is toward the bottom of the page. There is both a  video and a write-up. It's a relatively simple mod to install.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »
At an International Rally in Las Vegas a few years ago Roy Mueller explained that he had found a significant voltage drop to the headlights in most Beavers.  The reason was that the primary circuit went directly through a headlight switch that didn't have the capacity to flow through enough electricity to power the headlights.  Instead, he explained that the switch should control two relays that, in turn, would power the headlights. 

I asked Roy to install his modification in our motorhome.   At the time, I had a brand new little video camera and was in my first efforts at learning"videography".  Roy suggested that other owners of Beavers, as well as other brands, might be interested in the fix and agreed to be my "star". 

I tried to nominate Roy for a "Golden Globe" but got lost in the paperwork.  However, among the videos I've made, it is the winner.  YouTube reports that 3,003 people have watched Part 1.  1,221 were interested enough to watch Part 2.  (The reason that its in two parts is because of a length limit.)

A fun part of the story for me was a visit to Beaver Coach Sales where we ran into some friends that were also overnighting in the parking lot.  My friend suggested I get my headlights fixed because of a "new" thing BCS could do.  I asked him to show me.  The relays and wiring were installed exactly like in Roy's video!

Part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmYyoILEhMY

Part 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXez9bQNY0
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:48:53 AM »
Thanks Bill for the utube video very informative I will look into doing this in the Spring!!
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
Steve Huber. I do not know if the new forum is different but I noted in your post on the headlight fix that there is a write-up. I have viewed the videos but would like to get write up. I cannot find the "Members Board Only" and the Coach Link that you have referred to. Can you help with my search. Thanks

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:07:29 PM »
Under your page, at the top click on HOME.  Click on Private BAC Members Only.  Then click on "Link to Coach Assist: Owners and Equipment Manuals" .  When that page opens, there is only one entry by Admin Tim Bentley and it provides a link to the members only section.  Click on that link and go down the page to almost the bottom and there is a listing for " •Beaver Dim Headlight Fix"

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
Doug,
Roy is correct about accessing instructions. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll email you a copy.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Greg Kamper

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
I just did this mod yesterday on my 00 PT. I used a remote starter button to test the headlights and it looked like a 50% increase. I haven't had my eyes calibrated in some time, but it does seam a lot brighter. Very easy mod!  b :D  d  <---- that's me with two thumbs up!

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:28 AM »
Steve,

Will the mod work on a2001 Monterey with sealed beam lights?

Thanks,   John
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:06:32 AM »
John,
Yes the headlight modification will work on a 2001 Contessa if you have a problem with low voltage at the headlights. The modification is to the headlight circuit, and it does not matter what kind of headlights you have.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: John Bagwell

Greg Kamper

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
I thought I would add a picture of how this mod turned out. I don't think any coach mfg's will be calling me. The black wires are the ground, and the red are the positive that supply the 12 to the headlamps. A friend of mine paid around $400.00 to have it done, but I did it for around $20.00 and maybe an hours work.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »
I finally did my headlight mod today! Watched the youtube video a couple of times and went at it. Took about an hour to do!

Works great...I am not a night driver but on occasion drive too long and get stuck in the dark.....which I hate.

Maybe now I will be able to see the road a bit better....

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Doug Allman

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »
As Roy and Steve indicated, follow their prompts and you will find the videos and written instructions for the headlight fix.

I think the key is as is first on the written instructions, do the jumper test and you will know if it is a viable solution.

We just changed out the 2004 Marquis original headlamp assemblies (1998 - 2002 Lincoln Navigator units) and installed an HID assembly. You want to see a difference - it is so much better you cannot describe it. You can actually see down the road driving this 40,000+ lb if towing unit now. The lights are 5000K and bright white just like you have on a 2015 car or truck.    Note: the HID light assembly has relays just as does the headlight fix. There is no problem combining all the relays as per both assemblies instructions.

I have not had anything that Roy Mueller has suggested or installed that has not been an excellent solution.
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell