Author Topic: Hydro Hot interior heat exchangers  (Read 9282 times)

Clyde Janssen

Hydro Hot interior heat exchangers
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
When using Hydro Hot in furnace mode the interior heat exchangers in front section come on momentarily and then shut off, after a few minutes they will come on again and then shut off. Is there an automatically resetting circuit breaker---where at?  Is one of the blower fans pulling too much amperage?  How do I test for amperage draw? What can be causing this? The rear section works fine.      (Mr. Farris, I found how to modify message---------2004 Monterey (Newport)  THANKS FOR RESPONDING TO MY POST.  I am new to using the forum and need help finding my way around.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:28:43 AM by Clyde Janssen »

Gerald Farris

Re: Hydro Hot interior heat exchangers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
Clyde,
All systems are not identical. You need to list the year and model of your coach.

Gerald

Clyde Janssen

Ref Hydro Hot heat exchangers
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »
I am new to this and posted a concern about Hydro Hot heat exchangers.   The answer to your question to the post is this is a 2004 Beaver Monterey (Newport).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:03:36 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:53 AM »
Clyde,

Welcome to the forum, yeah anytime we post a problem we always state the model and year of the coach and, in your case, the model of the Hydro Hot or whatever the person is posting. There are so many different systems and items on these coaches. Even the same model might have a some different unit in it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:07:43 PM by Carol Moffett »

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:56:48 AM »
Clyde,

Certainly sounds like a 'self-resetting circuit breaker' protecting a stalling fan from burning up your coach.

All of the baseboard heaters in my coach are accessible by removing a drawer above or beside the register.  Posts have reported similar issues of something falling out of a drawer and getting stuck in the fan blades. 

I'd start there. 

Fans should spin easily by finger - if not I would disconnect the fan not spinning so that others will run without tripping circuit breaker.

Best of luck,  Frank

Clyde Janssen

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
I believe I have found the source of the problem with the heat exchangers.  I find that two of the fan motors that were replaced in 2011 are .95 amp draw motors and the originals and specification is for .25 amp.  Why this issue did not surface until now I don't know.  However, I am going to try to source the proper amp fan/motor assemblies and trust that will resolve the problem. 
If anyone knows of a reliable source for these units, I would like to hear from you.
One supplier listing that I have is Nedco.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
You might refer to this previous Forum discussion, Clyde:
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,235.msg1044.html#msg1044

If you are going to replace exchangers or their parts, consider researching quieter ones.  Our Montereys are noisy compared to other exchangers now available.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:31:24 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
I had to replace the fan for the heater under the drawer in the dash assembly.  I got lucky and managed to remove the cover and fan without disturbing the water lines. See attachment for source and part numbers.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
A question along the same vein?

In my bedroom there are two heat exchangers. I have a quirky operation. If, for example at night I set the thermostat at 68 then the exchangers will often run for about 30-35 seconds then go off for 4 minutes.

However, if I want to heat up the area and set the thermo up to say 74 then they run no problem, until they reach the desired temperature. I am thinking  it is  location of the sensor which is above the cabinets/by window which seems to get some kind of cross heating and kicks them off.

I have a Aqua-hot 600d, a dual electric element unit.

Also can I leave both electric and diesel switches on at the same time? I assume that if the electric elements can't keep up heating then the diesel will turn on?

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:43:11 PM by Jeff Watt »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »
It sounds to me like your temperature sensor is in a bad place - above the window means it is located high, perhaps too near the ceiling, and above a cool window which creates a downdraft and, thus, pulls the heated air off the ceiling to the sensor.

My AquaHot is an AHE-100-02S model, likely an older model than yours, has one electric element, and I regularly have both the electric element on with the diesel burner on.  In fact, they are both on right now.  The diesel burner kicks on only if the electric element/s cannot keep up.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
David or any other Hydro Hot owners,

If you ever have an issue with your circuit breaker tripping for your HydroHot, check the main feeds and relay to the elements.

My breaker kept tripping so I pulled the cover and the white wire was completely burnt off and the relay was burnt badly.

I replaced the relay with new parts from Roger Berke and checked all the wiring and replaced all the terminals.

Good to go with one more fix..... ;D
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett