Author Topic: Updating TV's - Front, Rear and Exterior (Maybe/Possibly/Hopefully)  (Read 23502 times)

Lee Welbanks

Re: Updating TV's - Front, Rear and Exterior (Maybe/Possibly/Hopefully)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
Fred,

On our Beaver they had all the cabling screwed up, I made up a 50' jumper using speaker wire with clips on the ends and Ohm'ed out ever cable I could find and tagged them. Got all connected correctly and imagine that the system worked like it should. I think there is still one cable that I never found the other end, oh well!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Hi Lee, Kudos to you, your a smart man, My understanding is some units had a spare coax up in the roof area for future satellite upgrades and or installation. Glad you perservered and all is working to your expectations!
            Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

JCMillerSr

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on how to remove the old TV.  I am finally back home and ready to proceed with the renovations.  First, to answer a few questions, the original cabinet did in fact have doors which were removed at some point leaving the cutouts for the hinges on each side.  If there was ever a slideout in the bottom of the cabinet it was most likely removed to install a larger TV.  There were three or four screws on the interior of the face frame that I originally thought held the trim in place but even after removing the screws everything is firmly attached.  Possibly they screwed and glued the faceplate back on during the previous changes.  I have looked under the RV and see nothing to indicate that the TV or cabinet is attached in any way through the floor.  My next step is to try to carefully remove the top of the TV cabinet so that I can see the inner workings of the cabinet.  The opening will not be big enough to remove the TV but at least I can get a few more ideas on how to proceed from there.

With regards to the cables I was able to find an old wiring diagram in my manuals which indicated there was originally a splitter mounted somewhere between the VCR and the three TV outlets.  Obviously this was also changed along the way with no sign of the new location of the splitter.  The old antenna has been replaced and a new coax runs directly to the selector box providing a good clear signal to both inside TV's.  The original booster for the antenna did not work and in fact apparently never worked for two reasons.  First, there was never a ground wire installed to the switch.  I had 12v power but without the ground the signal was not being amplified. Second, due to the splitter which was apparently between the booster and the antenna the amplifier could not do its job.  Bypassing the old cables (which I removed by the way) and installing a new cable has resolved this problem.

My next step in this process will be to install a TV in the cargo bay and see if I can get a clear signal either from the OTA antenna or the satellite through the selector box.  Following that will be replacement of the old VCR with a DVD player once I am able to access the old TV in the front and gain access to the A/V cables.

JCMillerSr

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
The mystery with the front TV cabinet has been solved!

Yesterday I decided to do some more investigation into how I could remove the old TV from the front cabinet.  After crawling around and looking at the cabinet from every direction possible I finally decided there must be some hidden screws holding the cabinet to the floor.  After pulling back the carpet in front of the cabinet and removing some of the carpet tack strips  I could not see anything more than before.  Then I decided to use some brute force and see if the cabinet would move.  To my surprise when I pulled on the cabinet it moved....just a little but it did move.  Several more tugs and voila, the cabinet with the TV still inside moved far enough that it was out in the open so that I could remove the TV from the rear.  All that was holding the cabinet in place was the weight of the dash and the carpet tack strips in the floor at the front. 

Still have not located the darn splitter for the coax cables.  Most likely it was already removed by one of the previous owners so I am chasing ghosts.