Author Topic: Daimont Paint  (Read 7071 times)

Dick Simonis

Daimont Paint
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
I'm looking at have some painting done and the shops don't use the Diamont paint that Beaver did however they assured me that matching is not an issue using P@G products.

Does anyone have any opinions on using P@G or should I hold out for a shop using Diamont???

One area of concern is the front cap when I have the film removed since it may need repainting.

Dick

Lee Welbanks

Re: Daimont Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
I would not think it would be a problem, the original paint color code probably wouldn't match now after the fade of the original paint. It is amazing how a paint shop with the right computer and equipment can match paint.

Russ Taylor

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
I had a cargo door that needed to be repainted. They used a special camera on the 3 different colors.  Then the computer matched the color and gave them the blend that matched the original Diamont color.   I don't remember what the paint manufacturer was that they used but it was not Diamont.   You cant tell the difference and it is in between two other doors.   

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »
I had a conversation with the painter at Beaver Coach Sales that touched on this.  I cant recall the details but what I took away was about durability.  What works best and lasts best on a surface like our coaches.  This is aparently why they used the paint they did.  A decent computer can match the color but the properties for expansion and contraction as well as how brittle it is in the face of rock chips and so on would be my first concern!
My two cents
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Neither of the two body shops I'm speaking with shoot Diamont so I have to ponder this a bit more.  Unfortunately paint is not something I understand so I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Tom Halter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »
PPG has a very hard time matching colors. Industrial Finishes was the supplier for Beaver. Call Warren at the Bend store he should be able to help with codes and suppliers.

Thanks!

Tom Advantage RV
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Nosing around on the internet was informative in that the suggestions were not to force painters to use a brand they don't normally shoot.  I didn't realize that painting was so sensitive to the brand but I guess it's as much art as science.  With that in mind, I'm probably going to hold off until I get back to Bend in June.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:59:43 AM »
Repainting is never cheap.  For my money I will have BCS do it so I know its done right the first time.  Scheduling now might be a good idea, just in case.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 03:12:12 PM »
I needed touch-up paint  for our 2000 Patriot and stop by Alliance Coach Wildwood, Fl: 866-888-8941 and they were able to mix paint for me from the code in the kitchen cabinet door.

Marty
2000 Patriot