Author Topic: Sharp Convection/Microwave R-1850 removal and repair  (Read 3633 times)

Gary Wolfer

Sharp Convection/Microwave R-1850 removal and repair
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »
I need help the door skin has cracked into two pieces on the outside of my sharp microwave. I ordered a door skin but after reading the service manual i might have to remove the whole unit and pull the door off on a bench. Anyone had the door off in the cabinet or taken the unit out? I see a bracket under the back holding up the bottom back. Has anyone taken the unit out ? 98 Patriot.

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Re: Sharp Convection/Microwave R-1850 removal and repair
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Gary...I'm not sure if my 1990 Sharp microwave has the same installation as yours but they can't be that much different.  Yes, there is a back plate to hold the appliance to the wall.  The way I removed mine was to clear the top two cupboards above the microwave and lift up the carpeting on the shelf.  There should be two bolts going through the shelf to hold the microwave up.  This is a two person job as the microwave is heavy.  Also, remove the two nuts holding the unit to the back plate.  Before removing the screws I cut a piece of stock to put under the microwave so it doesn't just drop onto the counter or range.

If you get the microwave out and then replacing it is just the opposite.  Lift the microwave up and in place and drop it into the holding plate on the back wall.  Use the cut stock to support the microwave as you replace the top cabinet screws.  Good Luck
Hopefully this will help you.
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Lee Welbanks

Re: Sharp Convection/Microwave R-1850 removal and repair
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:57 PM »
Put a brace under the microwave to hold it up in place, there are two large machine screws that are through the cabinet about, remove the two screws and let the microwave front down and lift it off of the rear bracket,,,easy peassy. Just make sure your brace/support under the front is strong enough to hold it up.