Author Topic: Black Water Tank Valve  (Read 17138 times)

Michael Hannan

Black Water Tank Valve
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »
Hello.  I have been having trouble with the black water valve on my coach.  Despite being careful not to hold the open switch for more than 1-2 seconds, there are times when pressing the switch does nothing.  I then have to remove the water station panel and activate the valve manually.  The switch will work when I put the panel back in place but next time I try to open the valve the switch does nothing (the light doesn't come on either).  I've checked the connections on the back of the switch and all appear ok.  Any ideas of similar experiences out there?

I noticed that the valve was made by Aladdin so I'm guessing that if it needs replacing I'll need to find another brand.

Thanks
Michael

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Black Water Tank Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Michael,
Sounds like an intermittent switch or bad valve. I'd check to see if there's voltage on the output of the switch next time the valve sticks. If so, sounds like a bad valve. You could also try spraying the switch mechanism with contact cleaner. It might just be dirty.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Hannan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
Thanks Steve.  I'll give that a shot.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Michael,

Your coach probably has Drain Master electric valves in it. I have the same problem with mine sometimes, the problem with mine is the way they Monaco mounted them horizontal flat a no no. I replaced one of mine a couple years ago, they still stick sometimes and have to manually open it a little. On mine there is no way to re-mount the valves so the topworks are up and don't fill with water and crap.
Drain Master, LLC

400 Park Center Dr. Suite 6
Hollister, CA 95023

Toll Free (877) RV STUFF
877-787-8833
FAX (831) 636-3759

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:34:10 AM »
I had a similar issue in 2013 while in Rexburg, ID.  While getting ready to leave a campground we all usually fill our fresh water tanks, and dump the black and grey tanks.  This time after dumping the black tank the valve would not close.  Several times it would partially close but the light would not go out signaling closure.  Over and over I opened and tried to close the valve.  I told Leslie at one point to quit packing because I thought we would be staying another night.  Finally it closed and I didn't risk fiddling with it again.  We just finished packing up and departed.  BUT, before we drove away I told Leslie to put about a cup of cooking oil down the toilet with a couple flushes behind it.  Now a couple times per year I have her put some cooking oil down the toilet after emptying the tank followed by a couple flushes.  I have never had another problem with it.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Hannan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the great info.  Mine too is mounted sideways Lee.  Thanks for the lead for ordering a new one.  I'll give the oil idea a whirl David. In the meantime & as I am parked for the winter, I'll keep the panel attached by one screw for quicker access and keep my Allen wrench handy.  8)

Michael

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »
Thanks to all for the great info.  Mine too is mounted sideways Lee.  Thanks for the lead for ordering a new one.  I'll give the oil idea a whirl David. In the meantime & as I am parked for the winter, I'll keep the panel attached by one screw for quicker access and keep my Allen wrench handy.  8)

Michael

I overlooked one small thing, in your first post you stated that your valve is made by Aladdin, Drainmaster only carries their own brand. I have not seen a electric Alladdin valve. A Drainmaster valve could probably be installed in place of yours but they are not cheap $90 bucks for the bare valve.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:01:46 AM »
The picture on the Drain Master site looks identical too the one I have installed including the switch.

Michael

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 03:15:15 AM »
Well then, I'll bet they are Drainmaster, they have a new one out now that feeds a full 12 volts to the valve motor, now this has me thinking that maybe these like ours are not getting enough voltage to get full power out of the little motor in the valve top works. I may run a few test to see exactly what voltage get to the valve, and that may just be the problem with these. My gray tank valve works every time, so I'm wondering if it is the soap in the water that keeps the valve lub'ed.
Some have good luck my adding some kind of cooking oil to the black tank. Thoughts to ponder.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 05:37:15 AM »
The first time this happened to me I was dumping my black tank at the dealer prior to having work done.  The tech who fixed it explained to me that the 1-2 second rule was because the servo that opens & closes the flap is so strong that if held in excess of that 1-2 second time would cause the flap to jam.  I can survive the way it is now but I'm tiring of having to use the wrench to unstick it so a new unit may be in my future.

Michael

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
On my Patriot Thunder the two valves are the first thing you see when you open the rear passenger side basement door, there is a black plastic panel covering everything to which I took the rotary cutter and enlarger the access hole, so using the Allen wrench is easy. If the valves give it up completely I will replace them with Valterra manual 5301 valves with the stainless paddles and be done with it. The valves are $35 on Amazon free shipping, less crap to go wrong, we don't need more crap.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:03:31 PM by Lee Welbanks »

neil omalley

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »
Mike: try rapping on the valve as you hold the button. I had these stick on me ,finally changed them out (piece of cake) but before I did the back of the screwdriver rapping worked.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 05:54:17 AM »
My valves are behind the water distribution panel Neil so it's easier to use the Allen wrench to open it once the panel is open. I think I'm looking at replacing the valve. I'll check all the other suggestions first before I do.

Michael

neil omalley

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
MIke: if you can reach the manual opener, you try the technique I suggested. Instead of the allen wrench use the screwdriver and tap where the wrench would go.

Tom Halter

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 05:12:01 AM »
Best thing to do is go manual. Electric valves have always had issues since day one.

Thanks!

Tom Advantage RV