Author Topic: Mobile Home fire behind our RV - Tech Question  (Read 3996 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Mobile Home fire behind our RV - Tech Question
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
Yesterday the Mobile Home directly behind our RV in Marin RV Park in Greenbrae,CA caught fire. My first thought was to move coach but with 4 slides out, levelers down and hookups connected it would have taken a while.
My question - 2004 Beaver/Monterey,  I know I can start engine in this configuration but can it be driven with slides out?
My first thought was to raise levelers and just move forward 20-30 feet.
As it turned out had I done this I would have blocked access to later responding Fire Trucks seeking access to rear of MH.
Thankfully the fire was hottest at front of MH which was opposite side from us. It was an inferno within but there was only one small window facing the rear where we were located. Several of us used garden hoses spraying the roof and rear and it never got hot enough to affect or cause damage to our RV.
Mobile Home was a total loss, 2 injured and dog died within.

Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Lee Welbanks

Re: Mobile Home fire behind our RV - Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
Darrell,

I have never moved more than a few feet with the slides out which I've done a couple time for one reason or another, usually to clear a tree with the satellite. Wouldn't want to make any turns of go over some uneven ground and tweak something or hit the slide on something in the way. But it can be done, if the house close to me caught fire you can bet your A__ I would be moving.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:19:49 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:50:04 AM »
Thanks Lee,
I wasn't sure if there was a safety switch that wouldn't allow activation of transmission with slides out.
As it turns out I made right decision, but I was really vacillating on whether to move RV or hose down Mobile Home.
Darrell Terry
2004 Beaver/Monterey
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Tonight, at our home park in Indio Ca, there was a fire involving  Beaver Marquis ( 04 to 07?).  The cause of the fire remains to be determined, but first people on the scene reported the golf cart parked at the front of the coach in flames before any were seen to involve the coach.  The Beaver was destroyed.  The owners were not home at the time of the fire.  I mention this in this thread because the neighbor beside this BM is another BM, identical in year, model and colours.  This neighboring coach was getting too hot to touch, so with the help of some other neighbours, services were hurriedly disconnected and the owner drove it away, without retracting slides.  So far, I don't know how far he drove before retracting slides, but clearly he got far enough to avoid burning up.  Makes you think about having an interlock that would prevent such an escape.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
Darrell,
There is no interlock to prevent driving with the slides out on your coach. However, you should be very careful in doing so because the slides will block your mirrors, and the coach is much wider creating a clearance issue.

Gerald