Author Topic: 2002 Contessa Brakes  (Read 4226 times)

Jerry McCarty

2002 Contessa Brakes
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
My 2002 Beaver Contessa coach has 42K miles and I took it to a local Freightliner shop to have the brakes inspected.  I'm the 3rd owner and not sure when they were last looked at.  I've now been waiting for 4 days just to get a quote for front brake parts (including drums) and a rear air cylinder for the air brakes.  Seems one of the rear air cylinders is "rotten" and needs to be replaced.  Late Friday I called the old Monaco number and they gave me the serial numbers and manufacturers of both axles and so Monday I'll start going through those contacts and see about parts availability.  I called the new Allied Recreation Group number for parts and found it to not be helpful.  Most likely since its an older coach.  They were going to do some "research" to find some answers.  If you have had "good" experience with break parts (pad, shoes, drums, air cylinders, etc.) pass on who did the work.  I'm in Aiken, SC (across the river from Augusta, Ga) and have no problems getting parts from people who know what they are doing.  I find it hard to believe that parts are that hard to find.

Jerry McCarty

Re: 2002 Contessa Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:43 AM »
Ok, I finally climbed under my coach and checked.  There are NO shields on the inside of the drums so I can see ALL the brake shoes and see parts of the drums to check for grooves, etc.  I was told by a "good" truck shop that I had a leaking front axle seal.  NOT SO.  There is grease from the ball joints where I grease them regularly but nothing else.   I did find a couple of the air bags that need replacing.   Finding a good shop that is reliable is being a real problem.  Plus since RVs is not their prime business they are slow to respond and have a general "take it or leave it" attitude.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:42:52 AM by Carol Moffett »