Author Topic: Partial blackout  (Read 6588 times)

Michael Hannan

Partial blackout
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »
I have a power bar on the dining room table and last night some tea got spilled on it knocking out the driver's side living area outlets as well as the TV and TV up & down thingie. The breaker didn't pop but I shut it off then on to be sure.  This didn't fix it. I replaced the outlet just in case the surge had shorted it out.  That didn't work.  I plugged the TV in using and extension cord and I noticed that the unit (picture below) had LED lights flashing.  This unit appears to provide power to the TV as well as the up & down thingie & perhaps the outlets on the driver's side? Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Michael

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Partial blackout
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
On our coach as well as many others I've noticed, the front TV and components are on the same circuit as the streetside outlets, and our wiring diagrams bear that out.  Our 2006 model has breakers with built-in GFCI's, but older rigs use standard GFCI outlets, one per circuit, especially if at least one outlet is in a location subject to moisture.  Your circuit in question may not have an outlet like that although the dining table could be considered one as your accident exemplifies, but since ours for example has the fridge's icemaker on that circuit and is the one outlet located outside behind the fridge, the circuit is GCFI protected on its breaker.

Whether or not your circuit has an at-risk outlet, it may still have a GCFI outlet somewhere regardless.  So I'd check every outlet down the streetside and up front, including any in outside bays or the outside fridge access and any at foot level around the front console near the driver, for a GFCI outlet that may need resetting.

As to the device in your photo, I have no clue and leave that to others to decipher.  It may be the ignition cutout safety switch, so the TV (and its motor mount apparently) cannot be used, via inverter or genset, when the coach is on the road.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:13:24 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11:53 AM »
Michael,

Don't know if yours is like mine, but should be real close. The unit does supply power to the TV and the TV Lift, it is what controls all the lock outs so the TV will not play of go up or down with the ignition key on. Now mine is on a separate circuit so it has nothing to do with any other circuits.
You said that you reset the breaker, did you turn it completely off and back on, are you for sure have 120 volts coming out of the breaker?
Also as Joel stated look for a tripped GFCI.
Need to find somebody with the wiring drawings for your coach.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »
Michael,
Normally a GFI will trip prior to a breaker. Suspect that is what is tripped in your  case. Check all the GFIs (usually included on AC outlets) including the one in the basement.
Good Luck.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Hannan

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47:23 AM »
Thanks guys. These are GFI outlets but don't have reset buttons on them. I'll pull them apart one by one and replace them with newer style GFI outlets.

Thanks

Michael

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
In any one circuit, usually there is only one outlet that is a Ground Fault Circuit Interupter.  I don't know that you need to replace all the outlets;  that would be overkill, especially with all GFCI's.  You just haven't found the one with the reset button on it yet.  Often as not that one is on a bay wall rather than in the living area, but check any outlets in the fridge rear access compartment too.  Chances are it is on a wall of a street side bay below your dinette, but that isn't written in stone;  I like to think GFCI's are the first outlet in any circuit, but Ed Buker may know better.

When you find it, even though resetting may fix your circuit you may consider going to Lowe's for a higher grade GFCI.  Ed clued us a few years ago into the difference in GFCI qualities.  Some used in our rigs are too sensitive, responding to voltage quirks that they shouldn't.

You could also replace it with a standard outlet and get a new breaker, one with a built-in GFCI like newer coaches have.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:58:33 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:54 PM »
Michael,

You need to find where and what has the circuit disconnected. I would start at the breaker and work your way out. You only need one GFCI to protect a circuit. I would opt to change the breaker to a GFCI breaker and get rid of the GFCI receptacle. So if it happens again you only have one place to look, the breaker panel.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
Michael,
Like Steve said, check for a tripped GFI on the plug in the basement. The GFI circuits in your coach are daisy chained so replacing the individual outlets is not your solution.

Gerald

Michael Hannan

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:00:41 AM »
Well this has been a learning experience.  All of the outlets in the living are had stickers noting that they are GFI protected but no reset or test buttons on them. I assumed that all outlets were the same & I failed to check the ones in the toilet & shower areas not remembering that outlets in these areas have to be equipped with regular GFI outlets.  So when I finally checked I saw that the one in the toilet area needed to be reset.  Thank you all for your patience and help.  Sorry I was so slow to pickup on your advice.

MJ
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:03:02 AM by Michael Hannan »
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett