Author Topic: 4 Wheel Drive  (Read 7398 times)

David Fischer

4 Wheel Drive
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:08:30 PM »
I was rear ended a week ago and now need to get a new (used) car.  I had a Tahoe and it had a 4 wheel drive transfer case which was easy to use.  However since I have been looking some of the cars have a push button to get into 4 wheel drive.  I realize that I could get the user manuals out of all of them and find out but I had once heard that the push button doesn't work the same as the floor mounted transfer case.  Thanks for any help.
David Fischer

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 4 Wheel Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
My toad is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with the four button, electric, 4-wheel drive transfer case shifter.  Go here to read about shifting it:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/2002/faq_controls_transfer_case.html#neutral_on

I have several copies of the Neutral ON and Neutral Off instructions in my console in the Avalanche.  I use these written instruction every time I change the transfer case before and after towing.  I have never had a problem shifting it... so far... in several years.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:22:39 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »
David,
It does not matter whether if the transfer case is shifted electrically or manually. The critical issue for a 4wheel drive vehicle is that it must have a TRUE neutral position. You can go to the FMCA website for a towing guide for all towable vehicles that dates back several years to simplify your search.

Gerald   

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
Davis,
If you are considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee you may want to read this thread.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3675.msg30644.html#msg30644
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:47 AM »
David, in case you are unaware even different years of a previously towable vehicle may no longer be towable.  I strongly suggest using the FMCA towing list because even a dealership may be wrong regarding towability.
We pull a Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited with a neutral tow switch.  Fast and easy!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
I'm with Keith, although ours is a much older Explorer.  Our '97 4x4 Limited has been towed since we got our coach in '06, when I simply had the Bend Ford dealer add a $100 Neutral Tow Switch that tells the Explorer's ECM to behave as if in neutral.  It's easier to deal with than towable GM SUV's I've seen. 

But as Keith also implies, not all electronic transfer configurations are towable and some who once were have had their blessing removed by their manufacturer.  Do adequate research at FMCA as Gerald recommends, and then double check with the manufacturer.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:51:13 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your Tahoe.  And just to echo others, the real key is that the manufacturer clearly states it is and there is a method to get in a true Neutral mode.  Although we are not now, we have towed 2 different Hummer H2s and a Chevrolet Silverado ... all of which had electronic transfer cases.  Follow the owners manual instructions and it will work like a champ.

Hope to see you later this year in Albuquerque if you are headed back that way.

Glenn and Betty Perkins

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:34:08 AM »
I towed an older RAV4 with the REMCO lube pump with lots of success.  Then used a Jeep Wrangler with manual transfer case that had a neutral position.  It worked great and was very light to tow.  BUT it was a jeep so it has a short wheel base and solid axles making it very uncomfortable to ride in for anything but short distances.  Just got rid of the Jeep and got a Chevy Silverado 4X4 with automatic transfer case.  It goes into neutral nicely and I can put the transmission in PARK and take the key all the way out while towing.  It does weight more than the Wrangler (5500 lbs for the Chevy and 3600 lbs for the Wrangler).  But when we get to our destination we can go comfortably around town and anywhere else without my wife needing several days to recoop from being in the cramped Wrangler.  Most GMC 4X4s have the neutral on the transfer case.  Ford just added it as an option on the 2012 and up F150s but you have to check on a used F150 to make sure it was part of the options installed.  If you order a new or its easy to make sure its there.  But like the others above, make sure what ever you buy has a true neutral on the transfer case and try putting the transfer case in neutral before buying.  Get on a slight incline, with your foot on the brake, put the transfer case in neutral, shift the automatic transmission into PARK and then take your foot off the brake.  It should roll down the incline.  If it doesn't then worry.

Lots of luck with your search.  We also have a 2002 GMC Yukon 4X4 with automatic transfer case and it has the neutral on the transfer case.

Tom Halter

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
Dave what year is your Tahoe? 1995 or older. There is a tag on the transfer case with the model number