Author Topic: 2003 Monterey Front Door Interior Panel  (Read 3119 times)

Jim Lingo

2003 Monterey Front Door Interior Panel
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
What holds the molded vinyl covering to the door? Underneath this vinyl is a molded hard plastic panel. The soft vinyl looks like it has shrunk and is flapping loose. I have stretched it and it fits and looks great for a few minutes when it shrinks and pops out of from under the door frame again. I have owned this Monterey for 2 weeks so I do not know its history. It did seem to be okay until yesterday.

Gerald Farris

Re: 2003 Monterey Front Door Interior Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »
Jim,
I think that your door panel was assembled by spraying an automotive trim adhesive over the molded panel and vacuum bonding the vinyl cover to it. I can not be sure of the best way to repair it without seeing it, but the best way will probable be to spray automotive trim adhesive on the panel where the vinyl has separated and gently reattach the vinyl by using a soft plastic spreader, a heat gun or hair dryer, and your hand or finger tips for the curved areas.

Gerald   

Jim Lingo

Re: 2003 Monterey Front Door Interior Panel
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
That process makes sense to me. I was confused by the fact that there is no glue/adhesive residue anywhere. currently the only thing holding them together is anywhere something is bolted/screwed to the door panels.

Thanks for the help.