Author Topic: Girard Wind Sensor  (Read 21715 times)

Dick Simonis

Girard Wind Sensor
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
I had a bit of an "OOPS" and my wind sensor was decapitated by a low hanging power line.....just gone.  Where  is the best place to buy a replacement?  For some reason I didn't have any luck on the Girard website.

Thanks
Dick

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
Re: Girard Wind Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Hey Dick,

I bought my last one in Brooksville FL at the SE FMCA Rally a few years back but had in the past called Girard and was able to get a replacement mailed to me.

Good luck.
Glenn

George H. Wall

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
dick, I have done the same thing twice, so I got a hanging basket, the ones with moss in them, discarded the moss, removed the handle, painted the wire white, placed a track of silicone, the outline of the basket, on the roof around the sensor, pushed the basket down into it and it has been there now for 3+ years. Most of the low hanging limbs ride up on over now!!   Henry
em

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »
Dick,
Just call Girard, give them your credit card info for payment, and they will mail one to you.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I will give them a call.

Dick

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:58 AM »
Yeah give them a call, I have had great service from their tech people and parts, tell them what you need and bingo done deal.

Tom Halter

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:56:09 AM »
Did you call them? Give them a call and they can help you.

Thanks!

Tom Advantage RV

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
I did and it's on the way.  Nice folks.

Randy Perry

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 06:04:46 PM »
Since I "lost" my white, plastic, 3-cup sensor some time back, I just called Girard (in San Clemente, CA. 949-259-4000) asked about a replacement and the guy says "Yes, $149!" I said "for that little plastic 3-cup windmill sensor?" He said it was for a whole new unit! I'm not looking for a whole new unit, I'm just looking for the cup sensor?? Am I missing something on this thread?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »
In my case, I need the whole unit since my was forcibly decapitated and damage not just limited to the cups.  There is info available on just replacing cups with other brands.

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Dick,
I have ordered these "small wind cups" from Davis Scientific. $12.00 :) They were made for a anemometer but they will work on the girard sensor. Comes with a little allen wrench and set screw to attach to the post coming out of the sensor. You will have to be sure the shaft turns freely and that it is not bent. If the shaft gets bent chances are the magnetic pickups in the sensor are damaged. Yes been there too. Then you have to buy the whole new sensor. Here is the link for what you should need.
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=07905S
Good Luck,
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Les Brandt

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
Steven, I tried your link and it said discontinued.

This is the one I just bought through Rainman for $13.50.
I checked the inside diameter of the new wind sensor hole with a drill bit. I had to back the set screw out and re-drill the hole to fit the existing Girard shaft. I believe I had to go up 2 sizes in bits. It was easy to drill the plastic. I put the set screw back into the new sensor, pushed it down on the shaft and it fit snug. I tightened the set screw and "Voila"....sensor fixed. Wind cups spun nice and free. The cups aren't white, they are black, but that doesn't bother me at all!

Here is the link.
http://www.rainmanweather.com/site/products/7342-178-Wind-Cups-Vantage-Vue-ISS
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:23:22 PM by Les Brandt »
The following users thanked this post: Steven Link

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:12 AM »
Acording to Andre' at Girrard some time ago, they made an early version and that did not have a replacable cup.  One had to replace the roof unit.  Newer models had replacable cups which were available from Girrard.
Using a different brand might be ok but wouldnt the length of the arm from shaft to cup have to match the original?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
Les,
Great, thanks for the new link. Best I remember I had to enlarge the hole for the shaft a bit also. Always good to know the next time I clip some of those low hanging limbs and yes I don't care if they are black...I only see them when I'm on the roof.
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Mike and Cathy Cleghorn

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:11 AM »
I think Keith is correct, at least for older rigs.

We have a 2002 Marquis that has one cup missing on our Girard anemometer. This is the second time in 10 years that we have had to replace the entire assembly since the 3-cup wind sensor part does not allow it to be removed from the base unit (I just climbed a ladder to double check.). I have a replacement assembly that has been in our bay for at least six or seven years, so I'll be doing the replacement soon.

I have heard, however, that the part is no longer available from Girard. Has anyone ordered this part recently?