Author Topic: Girard Wind Sensor  (Read 21795 times)

Dick Simonis

Re: Girard Wind Sensor
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
If you are speaking about the whole assy...no problem I just received mine.  While I didn't check specifically, I understand the replacement cups for the new model are available.

Vern Bauch

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
I have replaced mine and had to drill the hole in the white paddle vane, but have any of you checked to see if it works
i replaced and then used a leaf blower to spin the vanies very fast, no awning coming in, and ideas?

Vern Bauch

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
I bought ought minefrom beaver in bend
fits nic eafter drilling but it worked before and after losing and replacing it and it spins nice, but no awning comes in

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »
Vern,
There is a reed switch activated by magnets inside the sensor that opens and closes with rotation. It sounds like yours isn't activating. You can adjust it by hooking an ohm meter to the wires and using a hair drier to turn the vanes and verify if it is working. The meter should pulse as the vanes turn (easiest to see at very slow rotation). Call Girard and they can walk you through the process of adjusting it. I had same problem a few years ago but don't remember the exact steps I used.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
I had a defective unit from Girard (which they replaced) that did exactly the same thing.  When I installed the replacement and it didn't work either so the sent me another which was fine.  I disassembled the two defective sensors and found that in the a magnet (one of two) that was epoxied in place that activate the reed switches had come loose.  Stuck it back into place with some epoxy and it now works fine.  On the other the shaft had unscrewed from the rotor so it wasn't doing anything.

Now I have two functioning spare units.

Point is, most likely a repair is simple.

Note, if you use an ohmmeter you can see the switches activate when you spin it.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »

If you would like to sell one of those spares let me know.  I had the new kind with the replaceable spinner, but that doesn't help when a tree limb breaks the shaft!

Joel

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Joel, I have taken the bottom of a hanging plant and made a shield for that very problem.  I have posted pictures here, I,assume it's still here somewhere.  If not let me know and I will repost.

I replaced 3 units u til I made the shield.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »

If you would like to sell one of those spares let me know.  I had the new kind with the replaceable spinner, but that doesn't help when a tree limb breaks the shaft!

Joel

Joel, PM sent.

Dick

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:43 AM »
I was up on the roof attending to a dent in my sat dome and on the way down casually gave the cups a spin. To my surprise they did not spin freely but with resistance. Is that normal operation or might they need attention?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 02:59:34 AM »

Doug Allman

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »
I have two cups broken off and need to do something now that I have decided to stay with the current girard awning. When the sups were there it functioned fine.

What is my best avenue to repair this? A whole new sensor at about $140.00 from what I have viewed or is there some other feasible fix to the wind cup sensor. A basket to protect will follow whatever the fix is.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
The marine Davis wind speed sensor use the same cups.  Try West Marine or Davis online.