Author Topic: Hurricane heater ran out of diesel  (Read 16695 times)

Steven Hoffman

Re: Hurricane heater ran out of diesel
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 06:45:05 PM »
Gary

If your tank is like mine the fill hose enters the side of the tank down a bit from the top.  This means that you are "pushing" in the last 15 gallons or so.  Another problem that can occur is the vent hose returning to the filler neck can sometimes get a loop or low spot in it that can fill with fuel and act as a trap not allowing the tank to vent properly when filling.

Mine is just plain slow to fill.

Steve

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 08:50:57 PM »
I was under the coach and did not pay any attention to the vent. Wish I had a filler on driver side too that would give more venting. I will check it out thanks Steven.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
Hi Gary.  Steven makes a good point.  Our old Pace Arrow had a similar issue.  The vent and filler hoses were quite long and over time had slumped enough that the filler's fittings were stressed enough to leak, and the vent had enough belly that fuel accumulated and blocked it a bit.  As I recall I added support strapping to counter the sagging and spliced in a short section of filler hose to facilitate less stress on the leak-prone end.

I'd check the configuration and condition of any vent hose, its entire length.  If it's formed a belly, been pinched off somewhere, or is otherwise even partially plugged, it would explain the filling issue.  You might initially see if applying compressed air from its end blows any blockage back into the tank.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:22 PM »
I made a couple wedges from a 1/4 inch plywood scrap.  I put the truck size nozzle in just far enough to catch the lip.  If it won't hold on the first notch, I use the wedge.  At a truck pump with both sides flowing the $$$$s spin really fast and I'm done in a couple minutes. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »
Just to add my two cents.  While you are checking the vent hoses, you might also check the filler hose itself.  All hoses age, as ours had, in the 98 Patriot.  It had a large split just at the first bend and would slosh fuel out on a curve if the tank was full.
By the way, when we finally had BCS replace the filler hose it was a fairly simple job when the small bit of skirting just below the filler opening was removed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:37:41 AM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
My 2001 Contessa is slow pumping too Roy. Seems like I stand holding the hose forever.I try to refill at 1/2 a tank to save the time of filling.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl