Author Topic: Mobil repair  (Read 6363 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Mobil repair
« on: January 30, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
Does anyone know of a mobil repai person who can put in a new echo charger and also fix a leak in the joint between the roof and sidewall in the Mesa Arizona area?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Lee Welbanks

Re: Mobil repair
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
Give East Valley Rv repair a call, don't know if they do mobil service but I would bet they can recommend someone.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:34:42 AM »
  Hi John, I have a question for you concerning the echo charger, How do you know that it needs to be replaced? Often times the 2 inline fuses are overlooked. The fuse holders are yellow and can be traced by following the wires from the echo charger, The red wire with the yellow stripe is the charge line for the chassis battery and the solid red wire is for the house batteries. The fuses are 15amp agc (old glass style). It is not uncommon for these to "blow"if batteries are low or reaching the end of there life cycle. Just tryin to help.... Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
John, Fred has a good point.  If you have the magnum echo charger blowing the fuse is not unusual especially if it's the 15 amp.  I believer my later echo charger called for a 20 A fuse just as an FYI.

Also, I've lost a couple of them when detail folks pressure washed the battery compartment where mine was mounted.  if it is a Magnum a new one is ~129.00 and takes all of 5 minutes to replace.

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 02:34:50 AM »
Fred & Dick, WOW I believe you guys have answered another mystery for me as to why engine batteries will not stay charged.  I currently have a 3-stage 120V charger connected to the chassis batteries. 

Will look for fuses ASAP and hopefully get rid of the Rube Goldberg setup. 

Thanks for suggestions.

Regards

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
    Hi Frank, I believe the original echo charger was made by Heart Interface or could be a Xantrex. It is about 4" square by 1" thick. Theory of operation is as follows. When the "echo charger" sees 13.0 volts or more from the house battery for more than a minute, it latches onto chassis battery and starts to charge it. The reason for the 13.0 volt threshhold is so the charger knows that the coach is plugged into shore power and is being charged by the converter. Conversely, once the coach is unplugged and battery voltage falls below 13.0 the echo charger drops out so the chassis and house batteries are not tied together.
      Regards and enjoy the Thunder.......Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Frank Towle

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 04:55:51 AM »
Hi Fred,

Cleaned the fuse connections and now on fifth month of full-timing here in FLA.  Have checked chassis battery charge multiple times - charge holding just fine.  Enough resistance with corrosion to prevent 13.0 volt reading before.  Good call - thanks.

Best Regards,  Frank

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
There is a product called a Trik-L-Start that charges the chassis battery from the house battery while plugged in to shore power.  It has been used on some Monaco's and some Winnebago's.  It is very easy to install. 

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:49:00 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »