Author Topic: Inverter on OR off?  (Read 5234 times)

Chris Fyanes

Inverter on OR off?
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
We have a 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder I've been told to leave inverter on when traveling AND off when hooked up to AC power. Then recently told to leave it on when hooked up to AC power.... Which is correct?
Thanks

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Inverter on OR off?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »
I have had my coach for 2 1/2 years and have never had the inverter off.  It does draw some power when on, but that's only an issue when boondocking.  And then it's not much of an issue because of the solar panels; and the generators are there for power when the batteries get down to 12v or so.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:44:31 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:48:57 PM »
Chris,
The only advantage to leaving the inverter section of your inverter/converter on when hooked up to power is that if you have an intermittent lose of shore power like the four or five minute interruptions that happen occasionally in a thunder storm, the inverter will take over automatically and continually produce 120 volt power from your batteries. The only downside to this is that if the power is off too long, the switch can be so seamless that the inverter will completely discharge your batteries without you noticing unless you are using an auto gen start.

So there is no "correct or absolute" answer to your question unless you have a residential refrigerator and an automatic gen start. It just depends on how you feel the most comfortable. However, if you have a residential refrigerator and an automatic gen start, you should probably leave the inverter on all the time.

Gerald 

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
Gerald is right on the money, the only time I turn mine off is when the coach is in storage and not connected to shore power. I have found that by turning it off when in storage the batt's stay charged up much better.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
For the 8 years since new, ours is always off unless we are boondocking and require some 110 volt device - so I reckon that's my simple answer to your question.  But we don't have a residential fridge, so Gerald's reasoning plays in here if that's your case.

Except during the very darkest long days of winter, the solar panel keeps the batteries up, and the inverter's charger kicks in automatically when I plug in the coach on those extended dark periods - the inverter itself doesn't need to be "on" for the charger to do its job.

Joel 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:03:08 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:33:04 AM »
   Chris,
Gerald is giving you sound advice. If you have a residential refer leave it on. If your plugged in and you leave it on, it is in "standby mode" not doing anything. Another advantage is it keeps your Microwave and other clocks current when you unplug the coach. Going down the road it is free 120volt house power because the engine alternator is keeping the house batteries charged.
           Regards and Blessings to you,  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6