Author Topic: Slide Out Crooked  (Read 5335 times)

Dan Child

Slide Out Crooked
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:24:31 AM »
We have a 2009 Beaver Marquis Moonstone and this is a first for me!  Today, I pushed the button for the passenger side bedroom slide to extend.  I was distracted for about two seconds and when I turned back, the front of the slide has extended, but the rear had not.  I tried to bring it back in, the pump would run, but no movement.  I then tried to extend again, thinking maybe it would move, and only the front extended again.  I now have about 9" extension on the front, but no movement of the rear of the slide. 

After a lot of searching, I found the mechanisms that operate the slide and it is different than anything I have seen on previous coaches.  There are two hydraulic cylinders, one mounted vertically on the interior wall on each side of the slide.  Attached to each end of each cylinder is a chain that appears to go over a sprocket and connects to the slide.  It seems that when the cylinders extend they pull on the chain to extend the slide and when they retract, they pull on the other side of the chain to close the slide.  I am not sure this is correct, but it looks this way.

Does anyone know where the hydraulic solenoids are on the 2009 Marquis.  I found three - yeah, explain why there are only three - on the pump in the front generator compartment, but they do not seem to be associated with this.  There is another hydraulic pump located in the fuel tank compartment, but I cannot find any solenoids or a hydraulic fluid storage tank associated with this pump.  I am hoping to find the solenoids so that I can release pressure and with some help from some STRONG friends, push the extended side of the slide back in.  Then I can take it to a service center for repairs if I cannot figure out the cause of the original problem.

Help!  If anybody has any experience with this I would truly appreciate any and all input you might have.  Thank you in advance.

Dan Child
2009 Marquis Moonstone IV
Cummins ISX

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Re: Slide Out Crooked
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Dan,
The control box for the slide out is in the first large bay ceiling. You will have to remove the ceiling panel inside the bay to access the HWH slide control box. It is a real PITA to get to. There might be a blown fuse in the HWH control box. I would check that first. If a fuse is blown you might replace it and get the slide to come in if the pump will actuate. Will the pump come on for any of the other slides? If so then the problem is probably not at the HWH box but could be the circuit or wiring. I have a schematic of the wiring that I can email to you.
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
Dan,

I would contact HWH, their tech people are very good at this type of thing. The two cylinders for the slide are operated by a set of solenoid valves on your pump manifold, one out and one in which send oil through a accumulator to each cylinder on the slide so if the front works the back one should too. Sounds like the back cylinder is not getting oil or has blown a seal and just bypasses.

Dan Child

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:33:10 AM »
Steve and Lee,

Thank you for the input and it was helpful.  After a lot more inspection, I found a blown hydraulic line to the rear cylinder and will have to take it to someone to get fixed as I just do not have the time to dig into it any further.  The REALLY weird thing though is that no matter what I do to relieve pressure from the "extended" front side cylinder, it continues to extend further.  It is now out about a foot and I cannot get it back in.  My big issue now is how to I get it to someone to fix it?  Is it safe to carefully drive it to a repair facility?  I know I will be over width, but if I have a vehicle follow me to keep an eye on it, is it safe for the motorhome or could I cause more damage?  I guess I will start calling tomorrow and see where I get, but any advice from those on the forum is greatly appreciated!

By the way, there are two hydraulic pumps on this unit - the first is easy to find in the generator compartment, but it, of course, was for the jacks and not the slides.  The slide pump is under the stairs and virtually impossible to get to!  With the generator slide out, you can crawl under there and see the pump, but it takes serious gymnastic ability to reach any of the fittings.  I am going to call HWH because the other weird thing is that no matter what system I actuate for other slides (they work) I would get a lot of flow from the leak in the back.  I thought the solenoids would direct the pressure, but I seem to be getting flow all over the place.  I am confused, but again, I have reached my limit and will be taking it to someone that, hopefully, knows what they are doing.

Thank you again and if I learn more, I will pass it on.

Dan
2009 Marquis Moonstone IV
Cummins ISX