Author Topic: 2002 Contessa Front Slide Hydraulic Issue  (Read 8126 times)

Jerry McCarty

2002 Contessa Front Slide Hydraulic Issue
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
The main slide on my 2002 Contessa Naples edition is stuck in the out position.  I called Tech Support and they had no info on the hydraulic system for this coach.  I have had problems with the auto leveling and have the wring info for that system that shows some of the wiring for the pump and bypass valve in the system.  But I have not had any luck in find hydraulic piping diagrams along with the location of the components.  The Tech Support group told me I have an RVA pump system and calling RVA has only yielded a recording to leave a number and wait for a call back. 
I have found the four solenoid manifold for the leveling jacks and I believe I may have found the four way solenoid for the front hydraulic cylinder.  But can't confirm it since all the hydraulic hoses disappear into the frame for both the main slide out and the four leveling jacks.  The four way solenoid is not something normal since it has TWO stacked solenoids on one side of the block.  The solenoid should be an arrangement that simply switches the pressure port to the push out port on the cylinder and then changes it to the pull in port on the cylinder.  The return should then dump into the pump reservoir.  I haven't found the "bypass" solenoid valve since this same pump is used on the leveling system.  I have observed that when I try to retract the main slide that it actually tries to extend out instead of retracting.  The pressure appears to be much less than when its trying to extend.  I believe the four way valve's spool piece is not moving fully when told to retract.  The Monaco tech support group can only pass me along to RVA since it appears it may be their pump and maybe some of their solenoids.  The Monaco parts group doesn't show this valve as available but are checking with their former suppliers to see if there is a replacement.  Sort of stuck between a rock and a hard spot right now.
If you have any info on this system please pass it along.  I hate to drive 20 miles with the main slide extended to get to the nearest repair group.
Thanks,

Jerry McCarty
2002 Beaver Contessa Naples
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:39:07 AM by Carol Moffett »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: 2002 Contessa Front Slide Hydraulic Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:56 AM »
Jerry if you have the SMC/IDS leveling system as you said in another post, your front slide is controlled with the same system and pump. At least mine is on my 2002 Thunder. The slave cylinder does not return pressure to the reservoir, there is always pressure there, it is a closed system. Pressure on the cylinder holds the slide either in or out. Check all the wiring connections at the solenoids, they sometimes get corroded or wet. Marty

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:54 AM »
I have a 2001 Contessa. Same as Marty's. Constant pressure to hold slide in or out. Sounds like a corroded or broke wire to me.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I did find a person at Warden Fluid Dynamics that supplied the original valve to Beaver/Monaco.  He gave me a newer valve for a replacement.  The valve is a 4 way 3 position.  That means when the valve is not energized it is in a center position and that locks pressure in both the extend and retract position of the cylinder and that locks the slide in what ever position it was left in when the system was turned off, i.e. when you take your finger off the rocker switch.  This center position will keep the slide from going in or out while driving.  When you activate one of the solenoids it puts the valve in a position to provide pressure to one side of the cylinder and vent the other side back to the pump and/or reservoir.  When the other solenoid is energized the valve switches and that changes the pressure to the opposite side of the cylinder to move the slide in the other direction.  I've tried to attach the wiring diagram for the SMC/IDS leveling system that shows the bypass solenoid that is also used to make the same pump do both the hydraulic leveling and the main room slide out.  This diagram doesn't show the hydraulic piping flow diagram and does not show the main slide electrical diagrams but is helpful in understanding the duel use of the pump system.
My problem is pressure is supplied to the "out" side of the cylinder is extended to push the slide out and also in the "in" position to retract the slide out.  This leads me to believe the piston on the solenoid valve is not fully moving inside the valve body.  It might be a bad solenoid coil in one of the two coils in use on this valve.  That is the next thing to check.  But a wiring diagram for this system and/or a hydraulic piping diagram would be very useful to check the proper design configuration of the system. 
I hope I don't have to replace the valve or its parts since no one has the correct spare parts info.
Thanks for the comments.

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:54 AM »
 I found the right part by talking to the manufacturer of the valve after being pointed in the correct direction by Warden Fluid Dynamics of Vancover.  They are the company that provided the hydraulic package to Beaver/Monaco back in 2002 when my coach was built.  I put in a new cartridge into the valve body and now everything works fine.
But now I need the details on the hydraulic pump and Monaco/Beaver Tech Support has no details on that package.  The ARG parts group has a blown up picture of the parts and they are forwarding it to me.

If anyone has info on the hydraulic pump for my 2002 Beaver Contessa Naples duel slide please pass it on.  Any details will be appreciated.

Jerry McCarty

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
I found the information on my main hydraulic pump system.  I got a picture from the new Monaco/Beaver parts group and sent that to Walden Fluid Dynamics and they determined that they had supplied the package to Monaco.  They gave me all they had with some old drawings, etc.  The legend of the drawing said Fenner Fluid Power which is now owned by SPX.  The SPX technical group provided me with a complete readable drawing along with the complete Bill OF Material showing all the parts along with suggested "Kits" for the parts that will normally wear out with use, i.e. pump with seals, etc.  I have the drawing and BOM but they are too large to attach as files.  If anyone needs copies let me know by email and I'll forward them.

Roland DuBree

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »
My 2001 38' Beaver Contessa San Marco does not have the Fenner hydraulic power unit. Mine has a Haldex (now Concertic) power unit.  The part number on mine was #1261406 with a 2 gallon 7" + diameter  round reservoir which is no longer made.  I found a # 1261009 Haldex/Concentric power unit at Northen Tool for $297.99 that only has a 3 qt tank but they have a 2 gallon reservoir # 2280045 at $79.00 that is square and can replace the 3 qt taank.  I have someone in Tech support at Rockford, IL checking to be sure the old pump block has the same configuration as the 1261009 unit which has a built in check valve and presure releif. If that is the case all should work as long as the 4 wide square tank fits in the space where mine is mounted.
Nobody can tell me what original pressure releif was set for and how big a tank you really need.  Seems to me all the slide pistons and jacks are 2 sided type piston units. Once hydraulic system is filled with all jacks up and slide in when put the slide out or jacks down pumping fluid out of the reservoir you should have pretty close to the same amount of fluid come back into the reservoir from the up side of the jacks and the in side of the slide pistons.  The pressure relief in the Northern units is set at about 2500 PSI.  But when an OEM buys them he might have had them set lower if less pressure is requiered.  No onw can tell me that either.  My system now has a bad hydraulic hose and a bad hydraulic solenoid assembly to diver fluid to the slide and i have not been able to find a source for it.  it turns out my pump which I thought was bad too is OK so I don't need the pump. any help of the solenoid would be helpful to me.