Author Topic: Waste tank rocker switches  (Read 7445 times)

Rick Adams

Waste tank rocker switches
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
I just purchased a 2004 Marquis and the rocker switches for both the black and the grey tanks will not open or even light up when I try to dump the tanks. Has anyone had this experience?

Rick Adams
2004 Beaver Marquis
Grass Valley, Ca
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Lee Welbanks

Re: Waste tank rocker switches
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »
Rick,

Does either switch open its valve, I believe your coach has Drainmaster electric valves which have a habit of sticking shut. They have a manual way to open them with a 1/8" allen wrench, which is mounted on the side of the valve. On my coach the black valve sometimes sticks until I move it just a bit with the wrench then it work great. Some people here dump cooking oil into the tanks to help lube the valves. I replace one of mine a couple of years ago and if memory serves me it was about $90 for the valve.
On my Patriot Thunder the valve are easy to get at.

http://drainmaster.com/site/products/mini-view2
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
Rick
We had a similar problem while at a park where the dump station is separate from the camp spot.  The mess was bad enough to require major clean up so be prepared. 
I was able to get the black valve to open by pushing a hose with running water up the outflow pipe and activating the switch at the same time.  I figure that loosened up the dry debris on the outside of the valve.  Be ready to install the drain cap so you don't have to close the  valve until after the tank is emptied.  When ready simply have the hose in place and swap with the cap and let it go.
As is mentioned above, a good clean out on the tanks (water and dish soap according to our manual) and then a bit of cooking oil in the tank one time and you should be good for a long while.

Best of luck and congrats on the new coach!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Rick Adams

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »
I figure the only way to get to the valves is to remove the entire cover panel
which looks like it might be difficult. It seems strange that the switches do not lite up when they are pushed. I wouldn't have a clue if there is a breaker somewhere.

I did manage to get to the valves and manually open them enough to empty the tanks so I guess if I don't put anything in them I will be good for now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:04:24 PM by Rick Adams »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »
Rick,

When you manually opened the valves did the red lights come on next to the switches? If so the switches have power to them if not they may not be getting power.

Rick Adams

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »
That is my thoughts also. I will have a tech check them out. I don't think they are getting power and I don't know of any fuse or breakers on that circuit.     

Tom Dixson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:48:30 AM »
Rick don't know if you have had a tech look at your coach yet, but I concur with Lee.  I have the same problem with my 06 Patriot, particularly if the coach sets for a while.  The valve will not open electrically and the light will not come on.  When I open the valve manually, which with mine is quite easy, the light comes on.  I believe the light is tied to the opening and closing of the valve and is not tied to the operation of the switch.  When we are using the coach, the electric switches work basically 100% for both the black and gray.  It is only when it sets for a few months, that the valves may stick, usually the black.  In my case, if the valve sticks I manually open it and then I am good to go until it sets again.  Not worth paying for a repair.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »
Yes the valves have a little magnetic sensor glued to them and as soon as you move the valve to the open position the light will come on. No light would probably mean to power to the switch.
I see that Drainmaster has made a new version that stated that the valve motor gets full power to actuate it. Now I am wondering if ours don't get enough juice to make the snap open. Something to run a little test on while siting in a RV site this summer. Of course they want a small fortune for their new and improved version, bet I can figure out how to get full power to these at a much lower cost.

Rick Adams

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:11 AM »
Problem solved! I found that there is an inline fuse going to each switch. I lubricated the valves with some cooking oil and replaced the fuses and they work great.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:50:47 PM by Rick Adams »
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett