Author Topic: Best towed vehicle list.  (Read 15745 times)

Dan MacKay

Re: Best towed vehicle list.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:53 AM »
After a lot of looking at towables, we chose a Kia Soul.  It's a great little car, with a surprizing amount of interior room.  Cheap on gas too!  Main reasons for our choice:
Light weight:  about 2,200 lbs - don't even know it's there most of the time.
Easy to put a tow plate on:  we use a Demco system and I was able to install the tow plate myself with basic tools.
Great value for money:  the Soul has all the options at a low price and long warranty.

The only disadvantage (if you see it that way) is that you must buy the manual transmission model - just put in Neutral, key on ACC, and go.

For braking we chose the Blue Ox Patriot system.  Installs in seconds with no modifications to the car.

Happy Trails,
Dan

Keith Oliver

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 01:27:54 AM »
I see there are some passionately loyal Jeepers. :)
My next door neighbour has the JC for his toad, which he claims to have purchased after examining the SRX carefully.  His reasoning is that he would possibly go off road, and he would rather scratch up a Jeep than a Caddie.  He also confessed that he didn't expect the Jeep to cost almost as much as the Caddie, but then it did.
I am loyal too.  I drive a Volvo since 1980, and if one of their cars could be towed 4 down, I wouldn't be involved in this discussion.
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »
Mike,
Why is "Trail Ready" important? Seems to me that if it has a manual transfer case with a neutral, you should be good to go.
Steve

A lot of the newer Jeeps do not have the manual transfer case with neutral, my understanding is if they do, they have the emblem.  You are absolutely correct, if you have the manual transfer case with neutral, you should be good to go.
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz