Author Topic: Aladdin problem  (Read 3662 times)

Jim Gill

Aladdin problem
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
The Aladdin monitoring system on my 2006 Monterey HAD been working reasonably well...until yesterday!!! For some reason, the system had a melt-down while we remained parked for the winter...ie. we've been parked for 2 weeks and the system has worked fine until yesterday so whatever the failure, it is unlikely related to any travel-related vibrations.

The red lights on both joysticks are lit but with the engine off, I can't get anything to display on the monitor screen by moving either of them. With the engine running, the screen lights up, the rear-view camera display works with the trans in reverse but neither of the joysticks allow me to scroll anywhere to monitor any of the functions. When I tried to assess the holding tank status on the  gauge mounted in the service bay, the three indicators jumped from top to bottom for a few seconds and then switched to blinking erratically. I've checked the connections at the four interface modules I could find (DC, ATS, Tank and Temp/Compass) and they all seemed to be OK. I also check the connection at the J1939 Bridge box and it seemed to be OK.   

From what others have said on this forum, I thought the root cause of my problem could be joystick related but it seems unlikely that both joysticks would fail at the same time. 

Any thoughts from the Aladdin experts would be helpful.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin problem
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:24:33 PM »
Have you turned the Aladdin off and back on to reset it?  My on/off switch is all by itself in a cabinet above the driver's seat.  I would try that if you haven't already.
Good luck
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jim Gill

Re: Aladdin problem
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:25:50 PM »
Jerry
Thanks for your thoughts about the reset button. Yes, I have turned this button off/on numerous times but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Obviously this button turns the red lights on the toggle switches off and on but it doesn't seem to have any impact on the operation of the screen nor the cursor.

I haven't tried to disconnect the 12v power source to the Aladdin system...don't know if this would do any more good than switching the reset button on/off but I might give it a try.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Jim